Female 

12-01-2011, 11:00 PM
You don't need to electrocute your dog to teach it a "leave" command

Jann x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-01-2011, 02:19 PM
But you may need aversives to enforce the command when the dog has a better reward than the one your offering.

Adam
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
While I don't recomend techniques like this if it works it works. Clearly confrontation works well on some issues with some dogs, maybe the majority in fact! Seems to me that amongst the GP ''top dog'' still rules and often works.

Re food aggression I teach a leave or place command and use that to make the dog give up the food. Of course I use aversives to enforce the response but its a remote aversive so none confrontational.

I find this an interesting video, would certainly like to know what he did in between before and after!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHdNUKRWQ8

Adam
Oh be quiet!

---------------

Back on topic - If a nip in "Susan's" book is "Excessively aggressive" god knows what she'd think to a proper bite
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
But you may need aversives to enforce the command when the dog has a better reward than the one your offering.

Adam

Well then you make sure that the reward you are offering is tastier and better than what they have; blimey Adam, it's not rocket science
I feel so sorry for your dogs, and indeed any dogs that come into contact with you and your prehistoric "training methods"

Jann x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Well then you make sure that the reward you are offering is tastier and better than what they have; blimey Adam, it's not rocket science
I feel so sorry for your dogs, and indeed any dogs that come into contact with you and your prehistoric "training methods"

Jann x
I have met a lot of dogs who

A, don't consider what you have better than a bone/toy/chew ect.

B, don't care if its better or not, the simply want to keep what they have.

What do you do then, condemn them as untrainable/physco and pts?

Adam
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3