register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-02-2005, 01:45 PM
mine go in by themselves, have never had any problems getting them to use it, they get fed in their crates which helps
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I must admit I don`t like the idea of crates, have 3dogs that have the bottom floor of the house to roam as they pleae, yes they sleep on the sofa etc.
They are not allowed upstairs though,
CBT my dogs do have boundaries and they know they are lower in rank within the family structure, they don`t misbehave when we are out.

yvonne
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I have never had a crate for Luna. I just made sure that she only had hall, kitchen and bathroom to be in, when I wasnt home... In the beginning only hall and bathroom (which it is now too in the new appartment)

I would also say, that I would concider buying a crate for number 2 dog, when I get it. But I would never keep the dog in the crate when I'm there not even at night.

Luna have always slept with me in the bedroom. In the 1 year on the floor, but after that she's been sleeping in my bed with me and Oliver, the cat.

And I wouldnt change a thing.....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Teagan was crated as a pup, and now she sleeps in the crate, with the door open.

When she was a pup, she was in the crate at bed time, and also when I went out.
I didn't want her to chew anything and hurt herself, and she didn't mind being in the crate.
She has food, water and toys.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2005, 09:47 PM
still cant see the point I have the 4 boxers and never ever found the need to put them in a cage
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2005, 09:58 PM
The only time I've caged mine is Harvey when he broke his toes, then it did more harm than good cause he carried on that much and tried to dig his way out he hurt his toes more.

Minnie went in when she was in season but that didn't work too well either as she just screamed to come out so in the end I just put Harvey in the bed room it was easier on the ears.
Lexi
New Member!

13-02-2005, 02:03 AM
A frieng gave us a crate a few years back. All our dogs refused to go near to it, even Milo who loves his own space. When we got Penny she came into season a week later and we put her in the crate but she screamed blue murder and we thought she was going to go into convulsions, totally histerical. We got rid of it after that. Penny spent most of her season time in the spare bedroom - were we glad when she got over it and we could get her fixed.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a crate and they all bundle in !!!!! cos they want to and it's never shut UNLESS

the only time my crate door is closed is when my older girl wants some peace she gets in and closes the door with her paw...........talk about leave me alone puppy LOL
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 12:24 AM
havent read all the posts, but i have a book on staffies, and in there it says u shouldnt leave a dog in a crate for more than an hour during the day? i spose a time limit of a couple of hours is more fitting.
I cant imagine anyone on here keeps their dog in a crate for 8 hrs a day?

i was tempted to use a crate on indie but decided not to
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 12:29 AM
I've kept Teagan in her cage for about that time before.
I had to go to hospital, my Mum came with me, and there was no one to go check on her (It was when she was a pup - wouldn't have dared leave her in the kitchen!).
She was fine when I got home! No mess, no destroying toys etc!

She also used to be caged at night (not anymore), and that was sometimes more than 8 hours.
She was fine up until a few months ago, and didn't like being in there at night, thats why the door isn't closed anymore.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »