View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Yes there are people that abuse them but when used properly they are a safe,kind training aid that can reduce house training time and ensure a dog does itself or his surroundings no harm when left alone.
pete
Almost a Veteran

07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
also great for feeding times in our house, two kids aged three and four and with food on the table is bedlim with a 7 month old staffy runnin round,it wouldnt be that easy to control unless we didnt have a crate
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
crates are brilliant!
I have 2, one for my old retired dog who spends most of the day sleeping and one for my smallest staffie bitch who has a very thin coat compared to the others and doesnt kennel well in the winter time.
their typical routine is something like this :
8am let out for pee in garden
10-11am run about in paddock together,play etc
2pm toilet time again
5pm Feed timethen toilet break immediately after
8pm walkies
10-11pm last toilet break.

the rest of the time they are crated and they are happy to sleep half the time you would never even know they were there!!!
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by rocky
behavourists recommend crating pups at night.
this is one behaviourist that does,nt if they are used properly no doubt they do help some people but as you probably read on another thread that it is only 2 weeks ago that boxer welfare scotland had a phone call to take a dog from a family as they could no longer cope the dog in question was 1 year old and had lived in the box,crate whatever since a pup and the family did not realise they were doing anything wrong I ask you the dog is not even housetrained no I am sorry I have pets that are a large and important part of my family and would NEVER put them in a crate I maybe lucky and can spend a large part of my time with my dogs maybe thats the difference would you put your kids in a box,crate I dont think so
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-02-2005, 11:18 AM
my dogs have never soiled their crates because they have a strict routine and get let out for regular exercise periods. they go into their crates quite happily and have the fixed on bowls for food and water so they can be left if I need to pop out or go shopping etc.

It sound like the dog you mention was shut in the crate for far too long at a time because no dog will soil its own bed through choice.

Anything which can be good for dogs, can also be bad for them if they are abused. crates are good if used correctly, same as every other training aid.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I have now put my crates away but when they were crated (only ever one 1 a crate at a time)
it was ONLY when I was out of the house or at night....I would never crate when someone was in the house.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:49 AM
the rest of the time they are crated and they are happy to sleep half the time you would never even know they were there!!!
But why would you not have them be part of the family the rest of the time. Ours (lab x boerboel) sleeps next to our bed, lies at our feet, is generally our shadow, and is the most placid dog ever. He is left at home, in the house while we are at work. He has full run of the house except bedrooms, and apart from carrying things around the house, has never chewed wires etc etc.

I just cannot get my mind around how anyone would want to restrict an animals movement.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I would love to hear what the other Dogwebbers have to say on this as well!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Its not what I would do....as I said I only crate when necessary
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:51 AM
totally agree archer why do you need to have a crate if you are there with the dog ? as said previous like anything they are ok if used correctly it,s just unfortunate that places that sell them offer no advice or perhaps the advice should be down to the manufacture I know it sounds really stupid to some people but first time dog owners see these and honestly think ok! thats fine buy a dog get a crate
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »