View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't want any snow, I can't get to work, or to the shops, the gas is running low and very unlikely to come any time soon, dog food is due on Tuesday, it will be a miracle if they get anywhere near. It's no fun. Even the dogs don't like it!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I don't want any snow, I can't get to work, or to the shops, the gas is running low and very unlikely to come any time soon, dog food is due on Tuesday, it will be a miracle if they get anywhere near. It's no fun. Even the dogs don't like it!
Totally agree.

It looks pretty, of that there's no doubt, but my area grinds to a halt as our local council are sh*te at getting the gritters out.

Baz loses work, I can't get into the office.... it's a pigging nightmare...

The sooner if b*ggers off, the better!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2010, 09:10 PM
My carer was due here at 5pm, but his idiot boss had sent him out into the country. He finally got here at 8.30, having got stuck in the bl@@dy snow.

My day centre was shut and the mobility bus didn"t run, either. They closed the schools, too.

We can do without this crap. It's a bummer when they close the schools, as we don't even have a prison to put the little delinquents in!

Snorri
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Snow in Devon this morning......looks lovely.

I understand the disruption it causes but don't you all stock up on supplies when it is forcast.

Schools closing dont bother me.

I live close to where I work so that is no prob [this was a decision we made then we thought if car breaks down I can walk, I always walk as it is 10 mins away.

IF IT SNOWED DAY AFTER DAY i WOULD WALK TO WORK AS NORMAL AND POP IN TESCO ON THE WAY HOME AS NORMAL.

some people I work with cannot get in cause they live far afield and wont get paid, I say live closer to your work then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[waiting for backlash on this one ]
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Jols I am sure Snorri would love to walk but his lack of mobility makes that a bit impossible. In the recent snow we had I walked to my work for well over a week and hour each way and I stay literally a 10 minute car journey away fromn it but the snoew was so deep and the roads not cleared it made it an impossible task.

Stocking up is a great idea but the tescos on Orkney is about the size of Devons average corner shop! It doesn't have the capacity to stock nearly as many products and when people do stock up or panic buy then there is very little left for someone like Snorri who has to rely on others to get him to the shops or to go to the shops for him. And he can't pick strange times to go shopping as there is no such thing as 24hour supermarket on Orkney they shut up for the night each night.

Then on top of that you have the problem that the nearest distribution centre to Snorri for the Trucks to deliver to Tescos is at Livingston in Scotland's central belt and the main roads there were actually shut last week meaning lorries could not run and Lorries from down South could not get in to restock the RDC. Then when they leave Livingston after Perth there are no Motorways at all its all A class or B class or even unclassified roads oh yes and a Ferry journey and the Ferrys have been disrupted too meaning that the supplies are now back logged on the mainland.
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree with you, I hate the snow, I cant walk in it all and the thought of having to take my little girl to school and back in it sends me in to a panic.

I really do feel for the elderly in this weather and I hope that they have people looking in on them.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 09:31 AM
We all chose where we live.

I chose to live somewhere close to schools, shops and work..............thats all I am saying.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Whilst I appreciate your choice you are fortunate that you can make that choice.

Not everyone actively chooses to be where they are sometimes circumstances dictate where you live. For example family, job, illness financial circumstances may take choice away from you.

I personally live near shops schools and my work but it didn't help me 2 weeks ago when the roads were impassible and the streets treacherous hospitals cancelling all but emergency operations, dentists and shops closed and the main motorways were shut so the trucks couldn't deliver to the super markets or shops that did manage to have enough staff to open. Perhaps I should choose to move nearer to a regional distribution centre and maybe they would let me buy direct from the warehouse? But I doubt it.

Snorri may wish to live elsewhere I can not speak for him but in terms of Orkney Snorri lives in one of the most built up areas with schools, shops, medical care etc reasonably easily accessible, but that is of no use to him if he can't get out the door because of 4ft of snow. And even if he can the shop shelves are empty because the deliveries can't get there.

I may be wrong but I imagine with Snorri's disability the choice of where he lives has been more or less taken away from him as he needs adapted accommodation. This was not always Snorri's position and perhaps when he made choices prior to his disability without considering the fact that one day he would be wheelchair bound ( I expect most of us are guilty of that as its a thought most would not want to consider)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I say live closer to your work then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[waiting for backlash on this one ]

Well Jols I think you know there will be some 'backlash'

It's not as easy as you make it sound, I don't know where you live but presume it is a town or city. Even if not you are still very lucky to have found employment so close to where you live. What will you do if you are made redudant and can only find work 10, 20, or 30 miles away or like me when I once had to commute to London (70 miles) and stay in B&B Mon. to Thu. night. Jobs don't always pop up just down the road

As mentioned above, if (For whatever reason) you live in Orkney then life is not as 'cushy' as some middle Englanders have, it's hard even for able bodied people and in Snorri's case he has no legs so it is exceptionally difficult for him.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well Jols I think you know there will be some 'backlash'

It's not as easy as you make it sound, I don't know where you live but presume it is a town or city. Even if not you are still very lucky to have found employment so close to where you live. What will you do if you are made redudant and can only find work 10, 20, or 30 miles away or like me when I once had to commute to London (70 miles) and stay in B&B Mon. to Thu. night. Jobs don't always pop up just down the road

As mentioned above, if (For whatever reason) you live in Orkney then life is not as 'cushy' as some middle Englanders have, it's hard even for able bodied people and in Snorri's case he has no legs so it is exceptionally difficult for him.
It won't let me give you reppies but I want to!
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »