Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:20 AM

Cat next door

around feb my next door neighbour passed away, in the last week a new family have moved in and they have a cat. my oldest dog now has become fixated on the garden gate and will now even go out in rain to patrol it something he would not do before.he has had a go at my youngest dog for going up to the gate although this is not every time she approaches , i have placed a plank of wood along the bottom of the gate so he cant stick his nose under as the family have children and i dont want him to nip thinking its the cat.im also worried as a cat who came in my garden previously was caught by my dog but after i rugby tackled him he realeased it and it ran off. the cat is outside a fair bit and meowws a lot which only encourages him any ideas how i can get him use to the fact theres a cat next door as is obssevive behaviour is driving me nuts also any way i can keep the cat out of my garden i would hate for it to be hurt although i have spoke to the police and vet after last incident and they said i would be in no trouble as the cat was in my garden and the dog got it thanks for any help
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I would have a word with your new neighbours. Explain your concerns to them and tell them that the plank of wood is there to prevent your dog putting his nose under the fence. If they think it's to stop their children putting little fingers where they don't belong, they may become defensive. Although if you say the dogs may think it's the cat and nip them, then you'r trying to stop their kids from getting hurt.

Try to make it sound as though you're doing them a favour by talking to them about it. I'm sure they don't want you to be anxious about your dogs in your own garden but I'm also sure they don't want their cat to get hurt.

one of my dogs hurt a cat recently and I still feel guilty about it, even though there was nothign I could have done to prevent it.

Find out if there are times when the cat is definitely inside and make a point of allowing your dogs into the garden at those times. I don't mean you shouldn't allow your dogs into the garden at other times, but if they can go outside when the cat isn;'t there, they my come to realise that it's no big deal.

Finally, try not to get so worked up about it. Hopefully their cat isn't completely stupid and will stay out of your garden. But if you're feeling worked up ro anxious, the dogs will pick up on this and they'll go utside already hyped up.
Try not to worry. I'm sure everything will work out just fine. Lots of people have neighbours with cats/dogs and they live happily side by side for years. I hope you and your new neighbours can do the same.

Laura xx
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2010, 08:55 AM
thanks yes i have spoke to her regarding ty already having had a cat and she was fine she said her cat would learn so alls good with the neighbour just want ty to enjoy garden not to be glued to the gate really