View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:25 AM

How to stop a off lead dog from rolling?

I'm having problems with Honey, where we walk there are cattle that are allowed in three fields, and if the cattle are in the top field I walk the public walk through one of the bottom ones with the dogs off lead (if I can see the cattle I don't even try it) the cattle also seem to be in a routine, where they are in the bottom fields in the morning, head up to the top one around mid day, then come back in the bottom fields in the evening, which is fine for me, as it means that I can often go into the field, the only problem is one the way back home when were going back through the field, Honey often rolls, I don't want to have to keep her on lead, but last week she rolled around four times, so was in the bath three times, and a quick 'sink' wash the last time, as I don't think it will be good for her coat to be washed all that time, I was uncomfortable the second time it happened, so how can I stop her rolling when she's off lead, or will she need to stay on lead, any ideas anyone?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Play with her on walks so she stays closer to you on that bit.
Work on your recall.
Invest in a hose pipe in the garden.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Play with her on walks so she stays closer to you on that bit.
Work on your recall. Invest in a hose pipe in the garden.
And if that does not work, keep her on a lead when around the cow pats.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'm having problems with Honey, where we walk there are cattle that are allowed in three fields, and if the cattle are in the top field I walk the public walk through one of the bottom ones with the dogs off lead (if I can see the cattle I don't even try it) the cattle also seem to be in a routine, where they are in the bottom fields in the morning, head up to the top one around mid day, then come back in the bottom fields in the evening, which is fine for me, as it means that I can often go into the field, the only problem is one the way back home when were going back through the field, Honey often rolls, I don't want to have to keep her on lead, but last week she rolled around four times, so was in the bath three times, and a quick 'sink' wash the last time, as I don't think it will be good for her coat to be washed all that time, I was uncomfortable the second time it happened, so how can I stop her rolling when she's off lead, or will she need to stay on lead, any ideas anyone?
Let me know if you find a solution
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:38 AM
If you find out, let me know!

If there have been cows in any of the fields near me, I don't go in them -- simple as that. All three of mine will gladly roll in cow poo with great joy, and I'd rather not bath three dogs after every walk. If I have to walk through them they go on lead, but I purposely try and avoid walks that involve livestock fields.

Mine generally have a pretty good recall and don't range too far, but if there is a steaming pile of fox poo (or similar), they won't stop until they have had a good roll.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
My AB does this when he goes into the cow field where we live. i just keep him away from it when the cows are there. (I have the option to walk around this field). In the winter its not a problem as there are no animals in the field. he has got better, last year he would role in anything that was s**t.
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I too would like an answer to that, having a 7 month old pup that searches out the smelliest pile of whatever he can find. You are not always aware of where it is. He will also find dead animals,small one usually and roll in them. Other dog doesnt do it ever. You cant account for what you cant see.
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2011, 11:17 AM
trip's a roller... if i catch her before her shoulder's hit the ground, a growly 'leave it' will do the trick, if the shoulder's down though... forget it, she's not coming back until she deems herself stinky enough.

observation and good recall the key
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by partypooch View Post
trip's a roller... if i catch her before her shoulder's hit the ground, a growly 'leave it' will do the trick, if the shoulder's down though... forget it, she's not coming back until she deems herself stinky enough.

yup - I can 'hup, hup' my pair will not roll - but if im not paying attention then its wrapping in a towel and chucking in the shower
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by partypooch View Post

I have the same problem with Khal...he'll roll & roll & roll till he is totally lifting!!
Poor Jems OH had to bath Khal in the river at the weekend, he was humming

Bev
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >