View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 09:15 AM
A lot of new crosses are appreaing in my area - Dogue de Bordeax/ Mastiff, Staffy/ Mastiff etc. I really don`t think these dogs are being bred to go to gentle loving homes! They seem to be going to a particular type of young urban male.
idlejune
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
A lot of new crosses are appreaing in my area - Dogue de Bordeax/ Mastiff, Staffy/ Mastiff etc. I really don`t think these dogs are being bred to go to gentle loving homes! They seem to be going to a particular type of young urban male.
Dogs have always been bred to fulfill a particular function, unfortunately, the type of dog wanted by some yums is an aggressive type of fighting/guard dog to give them "status" and street cred. I have seen obvious pit bulls in my local town in the hands of said yums, I thought the breed was not "legal" in Britain does anyone know if it is?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by idlejune View Post
Dogs have always been bred to fulfill a particular function, unfortunately, the type of dog wanted by some yums is an aggressive type of fighting/guard dog to give them "status" and street cred. I have seen obvious pit bulls in my local town in the hands of said yums, I thought the breed was not "legal" in Britain does anyone know if it is?
Hi Yes pitbulls themselves are listed on the DDA so you shouldnt be seeing them. However how can you be sure that these are full pits, the problem being that a Mastiff/staffy could easily look like a pit, as could a mastiff/lab etc etc. In lots of cases these idiots just want a dog that looks the part and there is no thought to good breeding, good temperament etc, however thye are all being now tarred as Pits when in actual fact they probably are not.

Sadly it means that our wonderful staffie gets tarred with the same brush and they just arent hard dogs apart from in the head when they knock your legs from under you..
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I am on the fence really as not a huge fan of breeders generally but if they were not breeding designer X breeds they would be breeding bad pedigrees IMO.
IT should make the other breeders up their game and breed better with health testing relevant to their specific breed.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Me, I like 'mongrels', they are generally tough, happy little characters and there is nothing wrong with calling them mongrels...for me it's an affectionate terms.

As for people paying a fortune for so called designer breeds (Labradoodles), more fool them. They are just mix breeds by any other name and just given a fancy name for the cash prospects.

I agree re the idiots breeding staffy/pit mixes etc, gives dogs like mine a bad name. Dougal isn't hard unless he knocks into you when you least expect it during his mad race round the living room!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
wish i had not been so quick to comment on the other thread and cause this one to be started lol.
i think a lot of people on here are getting defensive and thinking that people with purbred dogs are insulting their cross breeds- that isnt the case i think people (including me) get so annoyed that there breed or any other is being used to produce these 'fashionable' crosses for nothing more than money after all what makes the huskamute better than a husky or mal? and what makes a labmaraner a better dog than a lab or weimaraner? the answer..nothing does i can understand that a gr x lab might be a better worker for guide dogs but they have valid reasons to do this and use them.
Dont get me wrong im not saying pedigree dogs are above cross breeds- there really are some lovely xs out there but they do not need silly names- you cant create a breed by just doing a first cross with another breed- it takes various crosses and numerous years to even start to do something like that- not that it is necessary-if you look hard enough there is breed of dog out there for every purpose and in my eyes, no need to cross.

I agree. Why all this obsession about creating non shedding breeds all of a sudden, when there are lots of non shedding breeds in all different sizes and temperaments from established breeds to choose from. I'm not sure what the point of breeding poodles with other dogs to produce a non shedding dog is, when a poodle is non shedding in the first place, then of course there are Portuguese Water Dogs, Tibetan Terriers, Lhasas, Shih Tzus, Schnauzers, Bichons etc etc. We already have all these dogs, dogs fit for all purposes and people, so why create more?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Interesting thread

I am with the majority in that I dislike seeing x-breeds bred purely for profit and quirkiness I don't have a problem with x-breeds bred for a specific function as long as they are healthy and raised in the same way as a good pedigree litter.

I am not at all keen on seeing new members flogged, tarred and feathered and hung out to dry before they have even had a chance to settle in ... no matter what breed, cross or mongrel they choose to share their life with.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
wish i had not been so quick to comment on the other thread and cause this one to be started lol.
i think a lot of people on here are getting defensive and thinking that people with purbred dogs are insulting their cross breeds- that isnt the case i think people (including me) get so annoyed that there breed or any other is being used to produce these 'fashionable' crosses for nothing more than money after all what makes the huskamute better than a husky or mal? and what makes a labmaraner a better dog than a lab or weimaraner? the answer..nothing does i can understand that a gr x lab might be a better worker for guide dogs but they have valid reasons to do this and use them.
Dont get me wrong im not saying pedigree dogs are above cross breeds- there really are some lovely xs out there but they do not need silly names- you cant create a breed by just doing a first cross with another breed- it takes various crosses and numerous years to even start to do something like that- not that it is necessary-if you look hard enough there is breed of dog out there for every purpose and in my eyes, no need to cross.
I am not saying it is right or wrong to cross these dogs but I guess one could argue what makes the single breed better than the cross of two breeds put together? (assuming all are health tested etc) Also that if people are genuine in wanting to create a new breed then they will have to start crossing existing breeds. One could question the need for new breeds but that is a topic for a new thread, I would think.

I do not believe in willy nilly breeding- period, be it two breeds put together to make a cross, or two dogs from the same breed being paired. Breeding for money, or simply because one has a male and a female is something I cannot agree with.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Perhaps the problem is people crossing for financial gain and nothing more, is it not the case that throughout history new breeds have been brought to existing breeds, to prevent extinction etc.......??
idlejune
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Interesting thread

I am with the majority in that I dislike seeing x-breeds bred purely for profit and quirkiness I don't have a problem with x-breeds bred for a specific function as long as they are healthy and raised in the same way as a good pedigree litter.

I am not at all keen on seeing new members flogged, tarred and feathered and hung out to dry before they have even had a chance to settle in ... no matter what breed, cross or mongrel they choose to share their life with.
I joined yesterday saying how I enjoyed the dog whisperer and how the program helped me help one of my rescue dogs with her new obsessive behaviour. I was jumped on immediately and made to feel I had been stupid and ignorant & in some way ill treated my dog. What a strange welcome thank goodness I hadn't bought a crossbreed!
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >