Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Oooh, good plan! Some back copies of a mag like 'Your Dog' might help too - flicking through magazines and reading bits & bobs might be a bit less demanding than a whole book.
Oh I never thought of that either! Another good idea! I have loads of Your Dog and Dogs Today mags, I shall give her a select few of though after I've had a look through them for articles containing suitable information for her!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Hopefully she will see it as a friendly, helpful gesture and not bombarding with too much info - I suggested YD as it's a bit more "accessible" to the average/new owner, lots of pics, and pics of step-by-step training. They also have the "Your New Puppy" supplement every year.

Much as I love DT... some of the articles are a bit more serious and in-depth, more aimed at people who have dogs already - might be a bit overwhelming unless you're used to reading dog stuff?

Couple of copies of YD inc. the puppy supplement, and let's hope you've helped make a difference to the new pup's life
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Hopefully she will see it as a friendly, helpful gesture and not bombarding with too much info - I suggested YD as it's a bit more "accessible" to the average/new owner, lots of pics, and pics of step-by-step training. They also have the "Your New Puppy" supplement every year.

Much as I love DT... some of the articles are a bit more serious and in-depth, more aimed at people who have dogs already - might be a bit overwhelming unless you're used to reading dog stuff?

Couple of copies of YD inc. the puppy supplement, and let's hope you've helped make a difference to the new pup's life
About to look through the mags now, and I do remember the seeing the puppy supplement they do each year! I must have a few of those so hopefully I'll find them! She would definitely benefit from reading them, that's for sure!

Yes, I think I'll start her on Your Dog.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Cool!
Was merely thinking, as you said she's had dogs/pups before, she might take it the wrong way... no harm in a couple of magazines though is there? You were gonna throw them in the recycling bin anyway, weren't you, but thought she might like them instead...
Spookle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Hiya

Has this person got the internet at home or work? When i was looking at getting a fur Baby i trawled the net for as much information i could before i even attempted to look for a dog, i see puppies the same as i did my kids when they were babies, you need to teach them things before they can even try and understand what you expect from them, and as for hitting a puppy for chewing my 2 are only now 10 months old and mine chew if they are bored and i see it as being my fault as they are only doing the same as human babies and toddlers are, give them enough stimulation and exercise and they are fine.

Rachel x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Spookle View Post
Hiya

Has this person got the internet at home or work? When i was looking at getting a fur Baby i trawled the net for as much information i could before i even attempted to look for a dog, i see puppies the same as i did my kids when they were babies, you need to teach them things before they can even try and understand what you expect from them, and as for hitting a puppy for chewing my 2 are only now 10 months old and mine chew if they are bored and i see it as being my fault as they are only doing the same as human babies and toddlers are, give them enough stimulation and exercise and they are fine.

Rachel x
Hello. I've no idea if she has the internet or not, she probably has. And yes, I agree with you, manners all have to be taught from scratch and we have to teach dogs what we expect from them.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Cool!
Was merely thinking, as you said she's had dogs/pups before, she might take it the wrong way... no harm in a couple of magazines though is there? You were gonna throw them in the recycling bin anyway, weren't you, but thought she might like them instead...
I don't think she'll take it the wrong way, so I think it'll be fine! I just hope she reads them!

I've looked out 6 YD mags, all with the combined puppy supplements, so ideally these should help her, but we shall see! I'll keep you posted!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track to help her, lets hope she is willing to learn!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:58 AM
What a shame for the poor pup. What breed is it?

I think you have been given some excellent, helpful suggestions though - especially about letting her have some old YD mags. Also, if she does have the internet, why not point her in the direction of Dogsey?
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm glad you're trying to help her, especially as some part of her does want a dog in her life as she got a puppy again after losing one.
I do hope she takes the mags, and as a friendly gesture - and I hope she feels able to come to you if she needs help.
Good on you, Nic, for being there
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >