View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Jules, I wish you all the best with whatever decision you make, none of which will come easy x
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
What a horrible decision for you. Big hugs xxxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Thank you all

Let me explain, its not just the kitten, I would never consider re-homing Ruby just because i wanted to keep a kitten. I have 3 adult cats, which she is just the same with and has been ever since we got her, one of which she has got hold of several times, we have worked with Ruby for the last 8 months but nothing is working.

I'm sorry if some of you think a dog is more important than a cat but to me they are all equal and i have had the cats longer than the dogs and am not prepared to give them up as they were here first.

They can no longer relax in their own home and all since Ruby came, Some of you say a bond is stronger with a dog, well, i disagree, i have a huge bond with my cats and when we had just D they would join us on our daily walk, i'm sure most of you remember the pics i have posted of D and one of my cats, snuggled up together.

We are kind of "using" the kittens to test her as they dont run away like the adult cats as we thought maybe it was just the chase she liked.

There has been another incident, unrelated to the cats, where Ruby growled at my daughter, which has worried me ever since and i am just beginning to think we have taken on too much with her, that we seem to be unable to deal with. My failings not Ruby's!!

Also, I feel if i was to get rid of all my cats i would resent Ruby for it and that is simply not fair on her, this is no easy decision believe me and its not decided yet either, we've been here before and decided to try again, it is still a work in progress but it is something we have to consider for all concerned
I know you posted about your concerns a while ago hun, About Ruby and her problem with the cats , Is there any behaviourists that can maybe help with Ruby aggresson towards the cats , I know you love Ruby dearly as does your family and this must be a gut wrenching time for you , And an awful decision to be made , I hope you can find some way of resolving the problem so you can keep Ruby , Wishing you the best of luck xxxdk
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Thank you all

Let me explain, its not just the kitten, I would never consider re-homing Ruby just because i wanted to keep a kitten. I have 3 adult cats, which she is just the same with and has been ever since we got her, one of which she has got hold of several times, we have worked with Ruby for the last 8 months but nothing is working.

I'm sorry if some of you think a dog is more important than a cat but to me they are all equal and i have had the cats longer than the dogs and am not prepared to give them up as they were here first.

They can no longer relax in their own home and all since Ruby came, Some of you say a bond is stronger with a dog, well, i disagree, i have a huge bond with my cats and when we had just D they would join us on our daily walk, i'm sure most of you remember the pics i have posted of D and one of my cats, snuggled up together.

We are kind of "using" the kittens to test her as they dont run away like the adult cats as we thought maybe it was just the chase she liked.

There has been another incident, unrelated to the cats, where Ruby growled at my daughter, which has worried me ever since and i am just beginning to think we have taken on too much with her, that we seem to be unable to deal with. My failings not Ruby's!!

Also, I feel if i was to get rid of all my cats i would resent Ruby for it and that is simply not fair on her, this is no easy decision believe me and its not decided yet either, we've been here before and decided to try again, it is still a work in progress but it is something we have to consider for all concerned
Thanks for posting the detail, I also found your previous posts on the subject (before I joined!), in the absence of which my post may have sounded harsh to you, apologies.
It seems you have tried a number of things without success, but not for the want of trying.

However, I do stand by my statement that emotional attachment in dogs is indeed different and a young dog passed from from owner to owner is far from ideal situation-wise....each time they 'get away with' more as they are assessed and new owners draw (different) boundaries. Now when you pass her on, you need to add growling to the list.....its simply not fair on the dog.

I feel for you in your decision, and think it is very honest of you to admit your potential resentment, but when you got R she was an unknown quantity viz cats. Cats are obviously a priority to you, I am sure you wanted to help her, but assessing her properly and thinking through what would happen if she were not compatible would have been far kinder. Hindsight: we can all do with a dose.

In the interim, by exposing her muzzled to kittens she is being 'flooded'...it may work, it may not. Was the technique suggested by a behaviourist, if so its unusual. If not, have you considered consulting one or even sending R away for some training?

I ask as I have dogs with a high prey drive and have instilled over time the 'leave it command' At times it has quite literally been a life-saver, (at least for the smaller mammals LOL).

All the best, really hope it works out for you.

Mary
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
You know I wouldnt give up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My two boxers, both of them, absolutely hated my cats, (I have 4),, And I had to work hard with them, really told them off if they were rough with the cats..
Good luck XXXX
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I wouldnt give up. No way.
Both my dogs absolutely detested the cats., I have 4.
ANd I worked hard to get them to accept them.
Firstly I would let her get used to them, outside.. so that the cats can get away.. if they need to.
But I say "Leave" to the dogs, and "No" raelly loud and sharp.. if they stay away from them, I reward them. Its possible, honestly, dont worry, dont panic, that you will have to get rid of Ruby. You will be able to work it out with her honestly. XX
Just give it a bit of time, and really make her listen to you, you can do it XX
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:18 PM
That is a pity, but I wouldn't make her spend an hour muzzled and on a lead every single day as she will just end up worse, training with a dog like that would be better with 2 people around at all times , have you tried having the kitten in a crate in the same room with Ruby just being around, the trick there is not to let Ruby focus on the cat, I really hope you can sort some thing out, those wrinklies can be so stuborn at times...good luck x
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
That is a pity, but I wouldn't make her spend an hour muzzled and on a lead every single day as she will just end up worse, training with a dog like that would be better with 2 people around at all times , have you tried having the kitten in a crate in the same room with Ruby just being around, the trick there is not to let Ruby focus on the cat, I really hope you can sort some thing out, those wrinklies can be so stuborn at times...good luck x
I agree, good advice!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Thank you, i will try that but i think i will have to wait until the kittens are a little older as i dont think mum will appreciate me moving them just yet.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Jules your PM box is full
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >