Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
As a matter of interest, how much time does she spend in her crate?
Is it possible that something, anything, has caused her to have negative associations with the crate? Have you expressed, verbally or by your actions, displeasure with her when she has soilded the crate, or for any other reason when she has been in the crate? Has anything happened when she is in there, such as something falling against it? Is she at all anxious about going into the crate or does she display anxiety when she is in there?
I crate her if I need a rest, or need to do something like cleaning up, or looking after my Mother.

I never in anyway voice my displeasure at her for being in her crate. I try to make it as nice for her as possible. I feed her in it, let her drink in it, put her toys in there with her for fun. I'll lay next to it while talking to her nicely, saying how she is being a good girl. I don't even say NO to her after she's peed in it. I just rush her to the right place, then clean it out. Then bang my head against the wall when she's not there. I take her out after every nap, after every meal, after every play time, first thing in the morning, last thing at night. I take her out so often to go toilie.

At the moment she is sleeping in her crate... I'm not really frustrated now, I always accept this as being my fault. I think I confused her with the whole outside pen place to go toilie in. It looked quite similar to the crate she sleeps in before I changed the look of it.

She was doing so well until today. I just don't understand it.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2006, 09:01 PM
You may have missed this addition to my earlier post :
She should have no problem in distinguishing an outside toilet pen from her crate.

ETA - Is she actually peeing on her bedding or in another area of the crate? If she is toileting away from her bedding then the crate is probably too big.
If she is peeing more often than usual it is possible that she has a slight UTI.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2006, 09:34 PM
She doesn't seem to care where she's peeing. Also, she only went for a check up on Tuesday, and she seems to hold it well through the night. I've restricted the crate, before, and it worked. Done it again before yoiu posted the idea. What I've done is put a blocker in, which'll restrict her sleeping area much, much more.

I also think that she's been spending to much time in there, so I'm gonna let her out a lot more, but I'll still keep an eye on her a hell of a lot.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 11:37 PM
i dont want to sound nosie but from what i have read she seems to spend alot of time in there ?? am i right in that she just a pup ?? toilet training takes time just like a toddler , be paitent with her dont put her in the crate straight away after she been outside , let her in then take her out again so she completly finish
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Mike when houstraining you need to be able to 'read' Bears body language, she will tell you when she wants to go out with signs like sniffing the ground/circling/starting to squat, you won't see these signs if she is shut in a crate. I would only put her in the crate during the day after she has just been out to be clean, and then only for a short time .. then get on with tasks you need to do ..at other times I would leave the door to the crate open and let her go in and out of it to sleep watching her . As I explained before (article) a dog will not soil it's bed unless it is absolutely desperate, the mother cleans the puppies bed and teaches the puppies to soil away from the nest..you need to make a small bed for Bear at the front of the crate leaving room to sleep but not to soil. If Bear is shut in the crate too much she will grow to dislike it and become depressed and bored.....also if she is shut in the crate a lot and wants to go out you won't be able to get her out quick enough..remember she is a very tiny baby still
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Maybe, just a thought, Bear could associate weeing with her getting lots of praise and cuddles so when she is in her crate, she wees thinking that she will get your attention and praise. Maybe just put her in her crate when she is sleepy not straight after she has had a wee. I don,t get much housework done when i have very young pups as they need you to be with them so much for the first few weeks. It is very hard work but our Willow who is just four months old now is completely housetrained and will sit at the back door to get out, she hasn,t had an accident in the house for ages and only had a few in the first couple of weeks . I only put her in her crate at night time now and if i have to go out of the house for a while. She sleeps on a beanbag with the rest of our dogs. You will get there in the end enjoy this time, they grow up far to quickly
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 08:47 AM
That's a good theory.

Weird thing is though, she went the entire night without soiling her crate, I take her out as soon as I wake, and she goes toilie in the place I want her to go.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Sometimes, sometimes not. I usually crate her after going though. Do you think she could be associating the crate for peeing?
It could be

What I would & do do is masses & masses of verbal praise outside & if I had close neighbours they would think I was mad I still go out with my 8 month old puppy & he's house trained. but I like to make sure he's"been" & I also teach a pee command in Rjj's case "it's be quick" & I also ask him in a silly voice before he goes out if he wants to"go be quick quick"to get the action I require in his mind

I wouldn't ever put her straight back in the crate ever & close the door to stop her running straight back in to break the habit

She will learn Patience is a great virtue with puppies
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Mike, it so frustrating at times isn't it

By the sound of it you're doing really really well, you just have to be very patient and consistent

When Ziggy came to us he was pretty much toilet trained, so we relaxed a bit and in the space of just a few days he went back to square one and started peeing EVERYWHERE even if he had just been for a pee, he would come in my room and pee again

Just remember Bear is only a baby, her bladder is tiny and she hasn't got proper control of the muscles yet... also remember if you have just played a game with her or in any way gotten her excited you have to take her back out, because excitement tends to make them pee

You're doing really well Mike just be patient, it does take time... don't want to put a downer on you but some dogs are not toilet trained until they are 5/6 months old... so try not to expect too much of baby Bear
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm letting her out of her crate more and more, and using her leash to keep her tethered to me while inside.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >