Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I am not saying that I personally would ever allow Cesar Milan to touch my dog or use any of his methods on my dog.

I'm simply noting that some people - albeit wrongly - in desperation will allow methods that are less than kind.

I'm not 'excusing' them, just pointing out that when some dog owners are desperate they will try anything.

I'm not justifying it.
Hi Tabitha you said..
Originally Posted by Tabitha
If it's a choice between a dog being PTS and Cesar Milan, I vote for the latter
I went on to say..
Originally Posted by Mini
This is the sort of thing that we frequently read on the forums and I don't think it gives a true picture
..meaning there are more choices than being PTS or CM and I went on to elaborate . I don't think I said you personally would use his methods.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tabitha you said..
I went on to say..
..meaning there are more choices than being PTS or CM and I went on to elaborate . I don't think I said you personally would use his methods.

Fair enough

Thanks for noting that
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Like him, but I think this guy is better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chriscreateharmony1

Adam
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Like him, but I think this guy is better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chriscreateharmony1

Adam

Nice link - lovely dogs, clearly having great fun
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Going to say my piece then run and hide..

Whilst I quite liked him until I opened a can of worms...I do think his methods are harsh, but what he says to the owners, in terms of, "They are dogs, not babies" and "They have learn't not to use their nose" - I kinda think he has a point there. Also dogs don't have a job anymore, and I like that he promotes exercise first before "discipline" or as we would call it, training and then affection.

RE: Flooding..

I used flooding with Benjie and his fear of children and bikes, but he got lots of food and praise - dogs don't take food if they shut down, so it's not all bad, depends how you do it and how long for. Benjie had children stroking under his chin, top of his head etc for 5 minutes at a time whilst receiving treats and with bikes - I brought my own bike out, rode it round the garden with him on leash next to it, after 3 minutes he stopped barking and ran with me - we then took him on a bike ride that afternoon and he passed several dogs with no issues (he is DA! Which surprised me) and bikes are not a problem - he now hasn't lunged at a cyclist going past him for about a year now. Flooding depends on the handler, I can read when my dog is stressed and I know how long it will take him to calm down.

I don't agree with masses of flooding though - 5 minutes max. twice a week is enough over a period to get a dog used to what they are scared of. Benjie is now fine with my neighbours 5 and 2 year old.
from this i wouldnt say benjie had a fully fledged fear of bicyles.
more he was either slightly reactive or over aroused due to a chase prey instinct.
meaning he wouldnt have been flooded.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5