Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by shaunclemens View Post
they get scared BUT its only for a minute and then they show respect. i was watching programme last night and the way he got a dog agressive dog to walk through a pack of dogs that were unleashed i thought was remarkable.
Sadly it's not remarkable for the reasons others have said, but to those who don't understand how dogs react, I agree it must appear amazing.

I've actually found a rather good video (well good in the sense that it shows what goes on before some shows) and I don't want it to get lost, so will post it later on a separate thread...)

Wys
x
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
A) He talks a load of twaddle
B) That thing that shall not be mentioned
C) I like that Victoria from It's me or the dog because you can just tell from how she talks to the dogs that she loves the animals (and it's on about ten times a day on Sky!)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Shaun- when you learn more about dogs you`ll look back on this period with shame. As do all of us who have ever fallen for the lies of a quick fix trainer who puts cash before welfare.
This man is reviled by his own country`s animal welfare organisations.
Remember.. it`s a tv show. It`s not real. What you see is what he wants you to see. Try watching with the sound off.

he uses aversives to train - here is quite a good article on that practice
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonli...Statements.pdf
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
. If it's a choice between a dog being PTS and Cesar Milan, I vote for the latter.
This is the sort of thing that we frequently read on the forums and I don't think it gives a true picture, it is actually an excuse to cover the shortcoming of some people. As many here myself included will tell you we have worked with dogs with problems and turned them around without the use of pain and cruelty.

People who have a problem with a dog frequently do so because they have obtained a breed totally unsuited to their life style, or they have failed to learn anything about dogs before getting one, or they have failed to put in the necessary time and patience to teach the dog required behaviour .

Before people are able to drive a car they are required to learn how to drive, before people are allowed to foster children they go through months of preparation and yet people seemingly get a dog a living intelligent animal without doing any preperation or having the slightest idea how to look after it.Then when things go wrong some blame the dog and look for a quick fix turning to the ignorant or unscrupulous who offer it.

Let us say you have never been taught anything and when people speak you don't understand their language so you become scared , frustrated, defencive and behave badly.
What would you rather have, someone who takes the time to teach you a language and carefully explains what is required of you giving praise and a reward when you get it right, or someone who man handles you, prodding/pushing/using painful devices to force you into doing what they want. I believe using force and harsh treatment leads to fear,defensiveness and suppression of behaviour rather than a real long term solution while patience/ kindness/understanding can change unwanted behaviour without causing further problems .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
It's important to understand that what we see on tv (ie a slavering, aggressive dog) isn't necessarily the real truth.

(See my other thread).

I know from talking to 2 people from a UK dog programme, that it is not unusual for scenes to be set up and for dogs to be wound up. Sometimes the actual owners wind the dog up just to be on television.

Another programme, also Uk, the celebrity trainer was only interested in the surroundings which were superb, and not the dogs. Ie the owner was chosen to take part because the surroundings looked so nice!

I have grown incredibly cynical now about such programmes, all of them.

I like Victoria Stilwell though, I believe she is the most honest of all of them and she has discussed how things are set up for her programmes in Dogs Today magazine.

I certainly don't lump her programmes with the others.

The best, of course, was good old Dr Ian Dunbar

Wys
x
shaunclemens
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
im watching a programme now with the sound off. and i am seeing it as another view. i can see the dogs are stressed too much.

to the OP ive grew up with dogs all my life but obvously my dad done most of the training due to him being more experienced now im trying to do some training it looks like i need more safeguard methods and try some reward based methods like on its me or the dog i love that show aswell.

im realising its more patience what you need in training than anything else. can anybody give me a few tips on leash training please. i have bought my dog a new collar not a choke collar due to the conversation the other day.

my dog is good around the flat but gets too excited when people visit and her recall is shocking (im working on recall with a whistle instead).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
im watching a programme now with the sound off. and i am seeing it as another view. i can see the dogs are stressed too much.

to the OP ive grew up with dogs all my life but obvously my dad done most of the training due to him being more experienced now im trying to do some training it looks like i need more safeguard methods and try some reward based methods like on its me or the dog i love that show aswell.

im realising its more patience what you need in training than anything else. can anybody give me a few tips on leash training please. i have bought my dog a new collar not a choke collar due to the conversation the other day.

my dog is good around the flat but gets too excited when people visit and her recall is shocking (im working on recall with a whistle instead).
Hi Shaun can you start a seperate thread about these things please..

There are a couple of suggestions to help you below from recent threads ...
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=140708

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...03#post2164503
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Going to say my piece then run and hide..

Whilst I quite liked him until I opened a can of worms...I do think his methods are harsh, but what he says to the owners, in terms of, "They are dogs, not babies" and "They have learn't not to use their nose" - I kinda think he has a point there. Also dogs don't have a job anymore, and I like that he promotes exercise first before "discipline" or as we would call it, training and then affection.

RE: Flooding..

I used flooding with Benjie and his fear of children and bikes, but he got lots of food and praise - dogs don't take food if they shut down, so it's not all bad, depends how you do it and how long for. Benjie had children stroking under his chin, top of his head etc for 5 minutes at a time whilst receiving treats and with bikes - I brought my own bike out, rode it round the garden with him on leash next to it, after 3 minutes he stopped barking and ran with me - we then took him on a bike ride that afternoon and he passed several dogs with no issues (he is DA! Which surprised me) and bikes are not a problem - he now hasn't lunged at a cyclist going past him for about a year now. Flooding depends on the handler, I can read when my dog is stressed and I know how long it will take him to calm down.

I don't agree with masses of flooding though - 5 minutes max. twice a week is enough over a period to get a dog used to what they are scared of. Benjie is now fine with my neighbours 5 and 2 year old.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Shaun ~ that's great, I'm sooo pleased that you've taken on board what's been said on this thread

We're all here to help you & point you in the right direction for any reading, tips, advice etc.
shaunclemens
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
thank you everyone for advice and to help me realise exaclty how wrong i am.

i have started a new thread to see if anybody can help with other problems. its called husky crosses.

i really apreciate all help i have recieved thank you
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >