View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How do you train?
I am 100% positive with my dog(s) 10 30.30%
I only use deterants/consequences for serious situations 14 42.42%
I'm happy to use deterants/consequences whenever necessary. 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Are you 100% positive?

Do you only ever use positive training/treats or do you sometimes raise your voice, use training discs etc to deter behaviour?

I try very hard to be really positive with my Loki, which can be hard as he is uber-confident and fearless and (much like my son) thinks he can do whatever he likes at times!

It's also hard because, I have to say, that when I was a child our local trainer was Barbara Woodhouse, so I've grown up with the 'no treat' approach to training. That's just how we did it and we had beautiful loving, loyal dogs. No bonding issues - just happy, loving, reasonably well behaved dogs.

I don't agree with negative training - I'm a teacher and I know with children you get much happier, better, more consistent results if the children are doing it because they want to rather than because you just tell them to, but on the other hand they sometimes just need you to tell them 'that's enough.'
There's nothing wrong with that. I don't claim that my children are part of my pack or that I need to 'dominate them' but they still need to know who's boss on occasion!

So, wondering who trains 100% positively, and who uses the odd consequence - and which ones?

It'd be really lovely if this was just a nice chatty onformative thread and not one where you feel you can't possibly mention that you occasionally get snappy at your dog in case someone tells you you're a bad person (But of course that woul never happen on here! )
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I use verbal 'consequences', but not physical ones. I don't really consider verbal corrections to be negative though as there are some situations where rewarding obviously isn't appropriate.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2010, 07:32 PM
So a sharp 'No' or 'Off'? Fair enough. Sometimes I feel from reading threads that even these are frowned upon, but maybe that's my paranoia!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 07:34 PM
As with horses in my experience, dogs react to verbal commands really well and they are the most important thing.

They can also be so easily interpreted by the dog, ie: positive or negative.

I have no issue growling at my bitch if she's being really naughty, it doesn't happen very often, but her ears go flat and she cowers (? I have never hit her?). When she gets praised through my voice she loves it and is all wiggles which is the loveliest thing
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I will definately tell her off if she is naughty, the tone of my voice is enough - and some checking with the lead if she pulls me while on a walk, but plenty of praise and treats if she is good or sometimes for no reason at all other than that she is gorgeous.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 07:54 PM
suki has had a smake on the nose/bum before
ATD x
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I use primarily positive methods but I will raise my voice and Sika has had a few squirts from a water pistol for jumping up at the table and trying to eat the kids dinner! That is the exception rather than the rule though. Same with my kids, I try not to have to tell them off but if they are not listening you have to raise your voice to get their attention and make them realise you mean it (I have been known to use the water pistol on them too but of course it ended up in a full blown water fight ).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I always train with positives but sometimes in life and general living I use consequences. Usually just a raised voice but with Etta I used a harness and long line and made her recall from the hedge---that isn't positive.

rune
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I have used items such as corrector sprays, anti-bark collars, rattle bottles etc but I dont rate them anymore as I think they can cause more problems than you are trying to solve.

I have always used positive methods for training, be it treats or toys but i'm not afraid to get physical with my dogs. Thats not to say I beat them or hit them hard but I will give them a slap on the backside, not hard enough to hurt but hard enough for them to realise i've done it. Sometimes dogs do turn a deaf ear. Jed is particularly good at ignoring me. I'll call him pleasantly several times and always get no response. It's only when I shout loudly and in an annoyed voice that he actually bothers to listen and do as he is told.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 08:46 PM
hi
i find it depends on the dog in question,each and every one of my dogs have different personalities and need different handling
trust and leadership is what i feel my guys need
firm but fair is what i practise
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »