Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:05 PM

How much do you vary your dogs walks?

When I was in England I had dozens of different walks I took the dogs on and would always leave a few days before doing the same walk again. Here in Italy they don't have places to walk as such (and you have to be careful of loose dogs or Maremmas ) so I mostly walk around the hills and forest directly around my cabin.

There are maybe 4 or 5 different walks I can do but I have to admit I do get rather bored with them. I also (at this time of year) have the option of driving to the beach or the mountain plataeu for a change of scenery.

We never meet anyone on our walks although there are lots of smells where wild boar/foxes/wolves have passed, my dogs never see any other dogs.

I worry that they might be bored with the same walks and feel guilty..

So what are people's normal walking routine, how many different walks do you have that you go on in a week say?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I hate doing the same walks over and over and very rarely go anywhere within walking distance of my house, I usually drive a few miles or more to reach a particular destination.

I perhaps do my usual midweek walks once a week and then at the weekend we go further afield like the Peak District or one of the forests in North Notts. I have my favourite places of course and then sometimes during the week we'll go somewhere we havent been for a while that went out of favour.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:48 PM
There are probably about 5 different walking routes from my door that I do most of the time. One place in particular is miles and miles of open fields/trails and we go there the most, mainly because you can do a 'different' walk each time.

I also drive to another 5 or so different places as and when time allows.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm spoiled for choice too, coz I can chuck them in the car and go just about anywhere, including the beach which is only 3 miles away, but I seem to stick to the same half a dozen walks quite honestly. Mine depends on how muddy it gets on certain walks, with tractors to'ing and fro'ing, so some are summer walks only, it's too heavy going in all that mud for my poor old legs and of course, it's pretty lethal on my mountain bike when it's too muddy, tree roots all over the place.

I have lovely green set aside fields, which always stay mud free, so atm we're sticking to those!

Oh I feel for you, I've seen your pics remember!!!!! I'm sure the dogs don't mind because there's always different smells around for them. Mine never seem to care where we go as long as they have me (it's a gsd thing as yer know!).
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I am lucky as 2 minutes away from fields and woods and can walk for miles, taking different tracks to vary the route day to day. Dogs love it as they are always off lead and can run, chase and generally sniff around to their hearts content and always seem to treat it as a new walk. Shortish walk in the morning after which they are dropped off at my Mums while I am at work. She has about half acre of garden so if weather is good they can spend time running around in that. Lunchtime is the long walk and then late afternoon another shortish walk. Staffie is 11 and Saluki about 8 but they still need lots of exercise (as do I of course)
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Unfortunatly I only have 2 places I can walk Shady relatively safely. One is where we have our lead walk early in the morning and the other is over the field we hire in the afternoon. So these are the only two places she goes, which does get very boring.
When Lynn came for the day we did walk them through the woods and up the road after being in the field I hire to give her a bit of variation which she loved. I can't do that without anyone to help me though unfortunatly, because of the risk of offlead dogs coming rushing up to us.
I do try to take Kyiro to some different places but he hates being anywhere he doesn't know and sometimes I will get him there and he will just shake and refuse to get out of the car until I take him somewhere he knows well.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:20 PM
we go to the local park every morning but take different way round, then in afternoon street walk but change the route a bit as much as can. Sometimes go up onto the river bank with a friends dog, wish we were not in town. Think if you are happy then your dogs will be too wherever you walk(sorry not much help).
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Same walk every single day. Not a lot of choice really as there's only one place I can let him off safely and there's no alternate route either. The only other option is to keep him on leash and just walk around the streets which neither of us particularly enjoys.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 09:02 PM
We have a few different walks that i can do in the morning before work where i can let Ted off. On my days off i will take him a bit further afield where he can have a good run off lead. During the winter we don't have much choice but to do the same walk in the evening as the local playing fields are the only place i feel comfortable walking in the dark unless we just walk around the streets. I must admit i get bored doing the same walk although i don't know if Ted would really be that bothered as long as he got a good run. There are plenty of people round here who do the same walk everyday with there dogs and they seem perfectly happy
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 09:09 PM
There are plenty of people round here who do the same walk everyday with there dogs and they seem perfectly happy
My last two got the same walk pretty much every day and seemed fine with it. They got to play fetch, sniff around, interact with other dogs etc. We'd go to the river at times but it wasn't regular as it was only weekends in nice weather or in the school holidays. Rupert definitely seems to enjoy his run around on the same field every night more than walking a different route on leash. He'd probably enjoy a different off leash route more but it's tough luck really, too many sheep and cattle to even contemplate it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >