View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

24-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I am sure Yiannis will come round. Perhaps Yiannis felt strange not seeing you last night after you left him at your Mum's.

I do so hope you find out who did that horrid act. I would love to do the same to that person.

Hugs to Yiannis.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Glad that Yiannis has come through all this without too much damage, although those stab wounds do look nasty. To be honest hun, I wouldn't be thinking of walking him just yet, I would give him at least 2/3 weeks for all those wounds to heal and for him to get his confidence back around you, don't know why he is that way with you hun? it must be hurting you for him not to want to come near you, hugs ((()))

x
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I have a fleece lined harness from Dog-games. It is really comfy and very easy to put on and take off. You might want to try one of those.
I'll have a look at one of those. Thanks.

Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Glad that Yiannis has come through all this without too much damage, although those stab wounds do look nasty. To be honest hun, I wouldn't be thinking of walking him just yet, I would give him at least 2/3 weeks for all those wounds to heal and for him to get his confidence back around you, don't know why he is that way with you hun? it must be hurting you for him not to want to come near you, hugs ((()))

x
I won't be walking him until I'm happy that he wants to go out and will be able to cope ie re confidence etc. I don't want to make how he feels any worse and of course until he's compeltely healed he'd have to be onlead anyway. I wouldn't want him bounding through stinky swamp water 9that he finds on every walk) when out in the park with open wounds. So I don't think he'll be too happy with his walks for a while. And even when we do go out, I'm not sure I'm going to let him off lead to go off snufflinginbushes alone. I doubt he'll run off into the trees as normal anyway but I don't want to chance it. Am I being over protective?

Yes it does hurt me that he doesn't want to come too near but he knows that I'll be waiting for him when he's ready. He has his reasons and maybe it's just down to pain. I knwo over time I'll get my norty gremlin monkey dog back but at the moment I think it's going to take a long time.

Laura xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe Yannis is picking up on your vibes too of being sad, worried, anxious (which I think would be normal due to what has happened) and he is hurting so he won't react the same way to you at the moment, sleep and rest is the best thing for him so he can heal. If leaving him at your mums isn't normal he would think something is strange anyway.
Try not to worry too much about his reaction to you as I am sure it will change soon. He still loves you and knows you care he has just been through a traumatic event and now he is sore and sorry.
Take care of yourself and know you are doing the best for Yannis he may not understand it all but he is safe and getting the right treatment and that is the best anyone could do.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:24 PM
How is Yiannis this evening?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Hi,

Sorry I didn't post before. I got back home from being with Yiannis, dealt with the other dogs and fel asleep. It's been one hell of a week and I think it caught up with me.

I took Yiannis to the vet again last night. He had to have his post-op check anyway but he seemed to go downhill a little bit.

The bounciness isn't coming back at all. He's like a different dog - which I know is to be expected but knowing what Yiannis is like, I thought he would've tried at least to be more like his old self.

He's had a big shock though and as the vet said, it could take ages for him to get back to normal. Usually when I take him to the vet he pulls to get inside ('cos they give him treats, fuss etc). But he just sat quietly in the waiting room not even saying hello to the receptionist.

Another coupld of dogs came in and he allowed them to come and sniff but he made no effort say be sociable. When one of the owners tried pet him he back underneath the chairs to get away.

He is still eating and drinking as much if not more than before so that's something I suppose. Not sure if it's his tablets but he's always hungry - even moreso than usual.

But when I look at him he seems so small and weak. Also very timid and that's just not him. I'm sure he'll get back to normal in his own time.

I have to take him back to the vet on Monday for another check but his wounds are healing nicely at the moment. The vet took out the drain last night so he seems a bit more comfortable physically. He can at least lie down on both sides now eithout catching it or leaning on it so that's something.

Yiannis is still at my Mom's and will be at least until Monday (although the vet sad it wasn't necessary). He still has open wounds (where the drain was removed and at the back of his leg that couldn't be stitched) so I don't want him jumping about or playing in some way with the other dogs and causing more infection. Also I don't want the other dogs to hurt him. I know they wouldn't do it on purpose but Zane is so clumsy, just one splat could really hurt Yiannis.

Once his wounds are at least healed over I'll start taking him uot for nice walks again although he'll stay on lead until he's back to normal. I found on eo fmy old harnesses that I'd forgotten about which is actually designed to go in the car and link th the seatbelts. It goes around his chest (as they all do) and attached at the back - nowhere near his neck so that will be an experience for him. he's ever had a harness before.

Even though he's still clearly not well and in some ;ain (even with the tablets) he's already so much better than he was. TBH - I though ton Tuesday night I was going to lose him - which may seem a little over the top now with hindsight so I'm just grateful I still have him.

Laura xx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I'm so sorry you and Yiannis are having to go through this. I don't understand people that could do something like this to a poor defenseless animal. He's just a puppy for criminies sake!

Anyway, I hope he continues to heal both physically and emotionally. I think the fact that he is shying away from strangers, but not strange dogs, means he was attacked by a person and not an animal for sure. Makes my blood boil.

Lots of healing vibes coming your way!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I think he will be quiet and conserving his energy in order to facilitate healing. I have seen this happen to mine after being speyed. In the wild they would retreat to a safe, secluded space.
Sooo hope he is feeling better very soon. Such an awful shame that anyone could hurt your lovely boy.
Hugs again xx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi,

Thanx everyone for your responses and kind words for Yiannis.

I also think his reactions now to people makes it more obvious (to me anyway) that it was a person and not an animal that hurt him. Also, an animal would have made noise and wouldn't have got away as quickly (unless it could fly!).
But I'll trust his reactions and go by how he feels with things. He won't be forced to do anything or meet anyone he doesn't want to.

When Ellie was speyed she just sat in the "doggy bag" at my Mom's. She wouldn't come out unless it was to eat or go out to the toilet but then that was only physical - as was when both dogs were neutered.
What really concerns be is how it's affected Yiannis emotionally or psychologically. I don't want him to be afraid of people but maybe a healthy apprehension of complete strangers isn't a bad thing. no?

I'll post back later on to say how he is.

Laura xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:45 AM
It is good he has the green light from the vet and even though he is not himself he is reacting the way that is right for Yannis, hopefully he will emotionally and psychological heal it might take longer and need special attention for him to be trusting to other people. All you can do is what you are doing, he is lucky to have you. Just try to take it day by day unless you can look into a crystal ball it is all ifs and buts, as my crystal ball is cloudy.
Take care of yourself and Yannis (like we know you are anyway).
Emma
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »