Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:14 AM

Yellow Diarreah

Got both dogs with yellow coloured diarrhea Georgie started it Thursday night but Zena was just sick normal poo, and sick again Friday morning wouldn't eat. Rang the vet and made an appointment, but by lunchtime Zena was hungry and Georgie had stopped squitting so cancelled it. Yesterday morning Georgie was bad again and Zena had the squits too, the same weird colour, yellow? This told me it was either something they had both eaten or something they had both caught, so took them to the vets yesterday afternoon (earliest I could get in ). No sign of lethargy, or pain, nothing, just this weird yellow diarrhea. The vet suspected Giardia, and on looking back Zena tucked into a cow pat where the wild cattle are roaming around on a beauty spot we went to the other day so I'm wondering? It's not constant diarrhea, it's just their normal morning poo/evening poo that's like this and I've never had this before?

On googling gardia it is picked up from stale water or feaces, but there's no stale water around here, and their poo is cleared up instantly coz Zena does like to tuck in on her morning jobs! She could have eaten some of hers but I doubt whether she'd have eaten any of Georgie's, she seems to favour her own I'm taking poo samples in on Monday to get them checked anyway and take it from there.

During my Google search I did notice that the best way of curing this is by using Panacur wormers, and I'm wondering if anyone has used these safely, but I'll obviously wait until all this has died down first! They were both done at the end of May with Advocate and Stronghold for Georgie.

Anyone else had this weird yellow stuff coming out of their rear ends? Could it be the chicken and rice they've had for 3 days now? Should that be binding them up, or will it remain sloppy whilst on this diet? Oh this is a mystery to me, coz Zena has always had the most perfect poo's and this is a bit scarey coz Georgie has had this before in the past and so has Cassie.

Maybe it's the heat that affects them like this perhaps? Any help/advice/input would be much appreciated, thanks!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I have used Pancur for the Giardia treatment when I had terriers. One of my girls used to have the odd bout of diarrhoea and although she was tested for giardia and found to be negative the Panacur treatment for giardia always solved the problem so I just kept panacur in stock and used that. Never had any side effects.
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks Becky. Is this yellow diarrhea consistent with this Giardia do you think, or know please?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I think the colour can be down to diet. She didn't have yellow diarrhoea, normal colour (for her) just very runny.
Becky
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I would think the chicken and rice would make the poop yellow.

If they are fine in themselves it's probably something they've eaten rather than a bug. When Bryan has had colitis he was poorly in himself (off food, very lethergic, in pain etc.)

Hope they are ok x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
No advice, Aitch - just some hugs x0x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
hi
if your dogs are well in every other way,the first thing to do is to take them off food for 24 hours,even if they want to eat(you need to rest the tum,not fuel the fire)after that boil chicken(no skin)if you want to use rice over cook it as they find it hard to break down otherwise,underfeed,and give about 4 meals.if it doesnt start firming up then you need to see the vet.giardia is very common these days,and yes panacur is very safe the protocol is a weeks course at a different rate than normal,but i would do above first before anything else
i hope this helps
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
We've just had giardia with a dog, we treated everyone and the general opinion of the vets was that Panacur is the safest thing you can use, I was told you could give the dose for a horse to a dog and it would be OK----not recommended though!

We did it three days in a row and then I had to do it again with the dog that had it. Also had antibiotic for a month.

He didn't have problems all the time, just on and off and the only time it ran out of him was after he had a jumbone so I think that was a combination of food allergy and giardia---whatever it was I don't want to clean it up again.

Yours doesn't sound the same but worth checking.

rune
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Helena sorry to hear about the dogs not being well. When mine has had upset stomachs I have always starved them for 24 hours as Tupac has said and have had no problems I think it gives their tummies time to rest. I would like to point out though that my Gsd breeder told me not to give panacur to them, it was actually written on the fact sheet she gave me. It was something to do with the breeds digestive system, I did find out about it on the net and the same thing was said, panacur not suitable, but I don't remember what sites it was on.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
oops!!
my mistake its 3 day course for giardia 7 day course for lungworm
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »