View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I have had entire males and I have to say they have never, to date, shown any sign of being 'frustrated.'
Would your entire males not feel frustrated if there was a bitch in season nearby, though?

will also make many behaviors worse in the first 3 months or so after castration as the dog will have hormone surges...
Source for this? I have not noticed this in my neutered males past or present. In fact, I noticed an immediate reduction in male behaviours.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Would your entire males not feel frustrated if there was a bitch in season nearby, though?
I have to say that I have had intact males all my life and have never had a frustrated male, they may have a bit of a chatter but that has been it. I guess I have just been lucky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Source for this? I have not noticed this in my neutered males past or present. In fact, I noticed an immediate reduction in male behaviours.
I'm guessing if they were bothered by nearby bitches in season they would show it through restless behaviour/howling etc etc...nope nothing.

Source for it is moi...I have had several pups neutered at 8/9 months who have ALL displayed more nervous behaviour post castration as well as changes in behaviour patterns in the 3 months post op. It is a well known fact they have hormone surges afterwards...also inevitable don't you think?
The pups I had neutered I was VERY intune with, in terms of their behaviour and responses to things as they were in training and I had to be. much more so than I have to be with m'laddo who is 'just' a pet.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
It is a well known fact they have hormone surges afterwards...also inevitable don't you think?
Not to me obviously LOL. I'll believe when I read some research stating neutering worsens behaviour. Until then I will take it as opinion and not fact.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Not to me obviously LOL. I'll believe when I read some research stating neutering worsens behaviour. Until then I will take it as opinion and not fact.
That's fair enough.

Unless one is working in a field that enables free access to journals and papers, it is difficult to find a representative number of papers and studies on the internet. Thus, we only have observations and experience to go on.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 06:09 PM
My entire male couldn't have cared less when our bitch was in season but our 3 year old neutered at 6 months male was all over her and did get very frustrated at not being able to get his end away, in fact he's been terrible with her ever since her season!

Personally I wouldn't get a dog neutered until they're mature in both body and mind, unless there was a medical reason to do so. Obviously that varies from breed to breed, dog to dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Where did I say it worsens behaviour? I said that you have to be very careful for the 3 months post op as there are hormone surges...literally one minute the dog 'seems' better behaved, the next worse... they also DO become more worried about things, probably becuase of the fluctuations in hormones. I was told by very experienced experts to be VERY careful with my dogs post castration for that very reason.
At no point did i say behaviour worsens...I did say that you have to watch out for issues developing though.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a friend whose entire Westie youngster was a hump-monster. She distracted him or stopped him and eventually the behaviour stopped. Hard work, I know, but it is possible.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have a friend whose entire Westie youngster was a hump-monster. She distracted him or stopped him and eventually the behaviour stopped. Hard work, I know, but it is possible.
Neutering alone won't cure 'masculine' behaviours...the training, as you have just said, has to be in place as well.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I wouldnt even consider neutering a dog untill he was at least 18mth old and physically mature. The puppy stuff will eas, the behaviour will improve, why castrate him for no good reason? If its a coated dog, then its coat will become thick, fluffy and unsightly and much more difficult to manage.

If you are intent on doing it, why not try a chemical castration first? if you like the effects go for the permanent solution. Dont forget dogs with nervousness/aggression issues are often worse after neutering.
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »