Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2010, 11:03 AM

How many times does a puppy poo?

How many times on average should a puppy [10wks] poo?
Oakley's Mum
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Blimey, thats like asking how long is a piece of string!!!

Presumably your feeding your puppy 4x's a day still?

In my humble opionion, puppies are going to the toilet incredibly frequently at this young age, I would expect atleast once an hour if not more for pee and poop times. They only have tiny wee organs, just as a baby does. Bare with it tho, in a few weeks time your lil one will have the idea of going outside/on puppy pads and you will know the signs (starting to sniff/fidget) as to when they need the loo, then you can commuicate with each other and quickly scoop them up and take them outside for toilet time. The most important thing is to praise like made.

As soon as lil one goes outside, praise "awww who's a clever boy/girl" etc.. your neighbours will think your made, but in time it'll pay off.

Oaks I have to say learnt incredibly quickly that he needs to go outside for toilet, he knows "wee wee's" means outside and go time. you'll get there... in no time at all you'll be the other side of the fence and thinking blimey we did it.. and the first time they tell you they want to "do wee wee's" its such a proud moment!!! (sad us doggy owners aren't we!!!)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Jols small puppies poo a lot usual about 4+ times a day thought there are no set rules.
This can be more if the puppy is stressed or there has been a change in circumstances.

Puppies only have small stomachs that can become distended when fed too much at one time causing them discomfort and in some instances an upset stomach (one reason they should be fed little and often). Feeding a puppy usually results in it needing to go out to relieve itself, the lack of control over bodily functions means they haven't the ability to wait .

The amount a puppy poos each time depends to some extent on the food it is given (and as Oakley says your puppy should be on 4 meals a day) .
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2010, 11:31 AM
THANKS.

My pup is 95% house trained.

Only ever done anything at night on his first night.

Today he has already poo'd

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by jols! View Post
My pup is 95% house trained.
jols sounds as if you are doing well.

Puppies don't begin to have the physical ability to control their bodily functions before 16 weeks of age though puppies do vary and some are better than others at learning what is required of them .

When we are 'house training', taking a puppy out at frequent intervals (eg first thing in the morning/last thing at night/after food,sleep,play,excitement and about once every hour, I also have puppies in a box next to my bed and get up and take them out when they cry in the night) we are teaching them required behaviour with the use of repetition and reinforcing this with praise so that when they have matured sufficiently to wait to go out they will have learnt what is required of them .

I never have any trouble house training puppies and mine have very few accidents in the house, my current dog had two, both my fault of course.

However, I would not say my dogs were properly house trained before the age of 16 weeks. To say they were trained before this time may lead people to believe that was the norm and they may stop reinforcing the required behaviour before it is properly learnt .
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:08 PM
He still has an accident but only about one every two or three days.

He goes bed at 11 after a visit outside and wakes me at 6 for another visit.

So it's all good