Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2005, 11:32 PM
thats so wrong

im young and no on benefits, but u can bring dogs up on benefits, like rich people should just be able to own dogs, ffs that so bad! IGNORE EM im sure u much better dog owner that those other people on the forums
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
That will teach you to wander off onto other forums better to stay where you are safe

minihaha i think u need to get out a bit more
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Horrible people should mind there own business. They obviously have no clue about you and your dogs! I am young but I can still look after brandie just as well as an older person.
At least everyone here knows you're a good owner
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT
minihaha i think u need to get out a bit more
Hayley I think not, I have been out more and didn't like what I saw
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Thank you Brandiesnap xx

Feel much better now, thanx guys xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Don't take the blindest bit of notice.

I went through something very similar in my early twenties when I had a GSD and a Rottie, I got similar remarks. Fact is some people pre-judge, others are jealous etc. As long as you are a good, responsible owner what is the matter with what age you are? If age is a factor why does the Kennel Club have a JUNIOR Handler section??? They wouldn't if they thought they were lesser handlers than the adults!

You are probably a better owner and trainer/handler than the average Joe Public who is quick to comment - I had this sort of thing too, best thing to do is lead by example. Be a good embassador for the breed and make them eat their words! (It really riles me the amount of pompous divvies that are out there!!! )
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Another couple of incidents spring to mind.
When I got my first Dalmatian, it was just before "the film" came out so there was a lot in the press discouraging people from going out and getting one (esp. as it was not long to Christmas) I had no problem with that, and had waited 35 years for one, but my pub landlord - an ignorant jumped up loud mouth - told me smugly that I had "bought the wrong breed" as they were such awful dogs and untrainable(I have cleaned up his language!).
Secondly, I spent many years helping Dalmatian Welfare and one of the home checkers would not approve a potential new home unless the people had a 5 bed house or better and a couple of acres! Presumably they would be too lazy to take the dog out and just let it loose in the grounds !!!! She was dropped from the helpers list!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
Don't take the blindest bit of notice.

I went through something very similar in my early twenties when I had a GSD and a Rottie, I got similar remarks. Fact is some people pre-judge, others are jealous etc. As long as you are a good, responsible owner what is the matter with what age you are? If age is a factor why does the Kennel Club have a JUNIOR Handler section??? They wouldn't if they thought they were lesser handlers than the adults!

You are probably a better owner and trainer/handler than the average Joe Public who is quick to comment - I had this sort of thing too, best thing to do is lead by example. Be a good embassador for the breed and make them eat their words! (It really riles me the amount of pompous divvies that are out there!!! )
Thank you ozzysmum you have exactly the same kind of thinking as me, couldn't have expressed myself better!

Hopefully when I start showing Maddy people will start to realise, but I guess i'm always going to have people ask questions, I guess it's stereotypical to think a 21 year old with 3 dogs and a son is irresponsable???
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
Another couple of incidents spring to mind.
When I got my first Dalmatian, it was just before "the film" came out so there was a lot in the press discouraging people from going out and getting one (esp. as it was not long to Christmas) I had no problem with that, and had waited 35 years for one, but my pub landlord - an ignorant jumped up loud mouth - told me smugly that I had "bought the wrong breed" as they were such awful dogs and untrainable(I have cleaned up his language!).
Secondly, I spent many years helping Dalmatian Welfare and one of the home checkers would not approve a potential new home unless the people had a 5 bed house or better and a couple of acres! Presumably they would be too lazy to take the dog out and just let it loose in the grounds !!!! She was dropped from the helpers list!

unbelieveable! You think the people who work for these organisations would know better!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:26 PM
unbelieveable! You think the people who work for these organisations would know better!
People do not all have the same motives for doing this kind of work. Whilst the vast majority see it as "putting something back" into the breed that they love and/or simply wanting to help a dog in need, there are some who observe the number of A list judges who are also involved in it and see it as an opportunity to become "a face" in the show ring, perhaps You would not believe the lengths some people go to
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >