Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Electricity Gas suppliers

I know I mentioned this a few months back but now we are desperate to leave British Gas

To cut a VERY LONG story short....

They put us on two electrical bills by accident - which we didn't notice was happening until a year on

Tried to get them to fix it, they promised to wipe our bill clean and start again.

Retracted the above offer...after they claimed they seemed to have misplaced the voice recording of the original agreement

They couldn't find the two accounts that we had been paying as they said they wiped them from the system

So we settled on a discount and they said we'd start afresh.

A bill has come in for £215 for 2 months!!!! We asked what on earth is this, we barely have used anything...he said, because they feel we didn't pay enough they've bumped up our bill even though we haven't used it!!!!!!

Sounds illegal to me.

I've had enough of these mickey mouse idiots.

MSN had an article on it today about British Gas raising their prices by 14.8% and gave Npower/ PowerGen / South Eastern (or something) as the alternatives

Are any of you with these new suppliers and what's your opinion?

Thanks
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 02:28 PM
We moved to Scottish Power.

Have a look at this - it works out which provider would be cheaper:

http://www.energyhelpline.com/energy...e.aspx?aid=107

The Money Saving Expert is saying now is a good time to change.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Im with Scottish Gas and was thinking about changing but the other companies seem to be putting their prices up too and I really wonder if you do save money in the long run. I was with Scottish Power but they were too expensive with their gas.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 02:43 PM
We are with powergen and we think they are really expensive tbh
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys - just looking at the link Linda thanks, although they are confusing me as it says British gas would be my best option but I know that their unit cost is 5 pence more expensive than Southern electric

I think we'll try southern electric but can anyone tell me whether we have to write a letter of cancellation to British Gas or do we just make the switch?

Thanks
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
You just make the switch and your new supplier gives your old supplier all the details...BUt the old supplier might stop you leaving until you sort out the ongoing stuff
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
We paid the bill although disputed it, it has been suggested that we should take them to the energy watchdog as they shouldn't be able to fiddle prices like that - we were told that we'd have to have a dryer going 24 hours a day to warrant having a bill that high.

I think we are going to switch and if they try anything we will take them to the watchdog - I think British Gas has got too big for their britches and deserve to have deserters, yes we're that angry with them
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
We've just changed both gas and electric from BG to NPower, BG were trying to get us to take out the price freeze option, but as NPower pointed out to us, there are new gas pipes being laid and ALL gas prices will come down in 2006/07, so if you sign up for the price freeze you'll be paying well OVER what everybody else is paying until 2010 and if you want to opt out you have to pay £45 each......so £90 in total. Also by taking both with NPower every 12 months you get a £50 cheque for being a loyal customer.

So far we continued to pay the same to NP as BG and our bills are always in credit, unlike BG that just kept putting the monthly payments up, so it's obviously working out cheaper.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 05:03 PM
hi

yep I recently changed to Npower for both and my bills were in credit - so am happy with them too. completely happy with service havent had any problems

dani
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Thanks guys - just looking at the link Linda thanks, although they are confusing me as it says British gas would be my best option but I know that their unit cost is 5 pence more expensive than Southern electric

I think we'll try southern electric but can anyone tell me whether we have to write a letter of cancellation to British Gas or do we just make the switch?

Thanks

That can't be right!

With Scottish Power we just made the switch and they sorted the rest out, we had to give them a meter reading - not sure about Southern Electric.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >