Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Bit of advice please

My cousin is getting a labrador off someone else in the family in 2 weeks. She's a 7 year old un-speyed girl and is apparently 2 years behind in vaccinations.
She's been booked in to be done on the day after they get her, does that mean she can't go out for a while and Axel can't visit?
I think the chances of her having anything are slim as she hasn't been walked in over a year (don't get me started- long story!)...
Please advise. I was planning to go up on the Tuesday with Axel and help with stuff...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:15 AM
If she has had vaccinations every year for the first 5 years she should certainly have lifelong immunity now and I think I would titre test before vaccinating as I would money on the fact she is more than adequatley covered..
If your friend really does want to vaccinate then please tell her not to let the vet try and make her have the whole course again. she will only need a booster, nothing more.
Yes she should be fine to go out as normal and yes Axel can visit as I said she should have lifelong immunity anyway by now.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:20 AM
The only thing I would add is to ask if it's absolutely necessary for her to be spayed the day after they get her? I understand they would want to get it done but I would personally allow her time to get settled into her new home before putting her through any procedure.

The other thing is, with regards to the jabs, we must all meet hundreds of dogs each year that haven't been vaccinated, we don't really give it a thought, as far as I know it is only the dog that hasn't been jabbed that is at risk from infection so if your boy has been done he should be fine.

I hope that the little lady brings your cousin many years of happiness
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:23 AM
As said, a) she's probably got adequate cover from previous vaccinations (many vaccination companies nowadays only recommend a booster every 3 years, and immunity can last even longer than that), and b) you probably meet unvaccinated dogs, walk in areas unvaccinated dogs have walked, etc. without realising.
I think I might let her settle in a while before making her deal with a strange dog in her new home though as it might be a little unsettling.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
If she has had vaccinations every year for the first 5 years she should certainly have lifelong immunity now and I think I would titre test before vaccinating as I would money on the fact she is more than adequatley covered..
If your friend really does want to vaccinate then please tell her not to let the vet try and make her have the whole course again. she will only need a booster, nothing more.
Yes she should be fine to go out as normal and yes Axel can visit as I said she should have lifelong immunity anyway by now.
Thanks, I'll let her know about that.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
The only thing I would add is to ask if it's absolutely necessary for her to be spayed the day after they get her? I understand they would want to get it done but I would personally allow her time to get settled into her new home before putting her through any procedure.

The other thing is, with regards to the jabs, we must all meet hundreds of dogs each year that haven't been vaccinated, we don't really give it a thought, as far as I know it is only the dog that hasn't been jabbed that is at risk from infection so if your boy has been done he should be fine.

I hope that the little lady brings your cousin many years of happiness
Sorry, when I said 'done' I meant the booster, not speying - they wouldn't do that so soon because of the reasons you gave, sorry for the confusion

Good points about meeting dogs not done, so I'll go up and help like planned
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Sorry, when I said 'done' I meant the booster, not speying - they wouldn't do that so soon because of the reasons you gave, sorry for the confusion

Good points about meeting dogs not done, so I'll go up and help like planned
No probs, I just misunderstood. I bet they are so excited, and she will think she is in paradise
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
As said, a) she's probably got adequate cover from previous vaccinations (many vaccination companies nowadays only recommend a booster every 3 years, and immunity can last even longer than that), and b) you probably meet unvaccinated dogs, walk in areas unvaccinated dogs have walked, etc. without realising.
I think I might let her settle in a while before making her deal with a strange dog in her new home though as it might be a little unsettling.
Axel won't be going necessarily into the home, but helping on the walk. As she hasn't been walked in a year they wanted a calm role model to help ease her back into it
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Do they know if she's OK with other dogs? My worry would be that if she's a bit fearful or reactive then she may be a bit more stressed with another dog there than without.
I imagine you'd need to build walks up very slowly anyway - especially if, being a Lab, she's carrying any excess weight and has lost muscle tone etc.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
No probs, I just misunderstood. I bet they are so excited, and she will think she is in paradise
No problems, yes she will, she's had quite a sad life

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Do they know if she's OK with other dogs? My worry would be that if she's a bit fearful or reactive then she may be a bit more stressed with another dog there than without.
I imagine you'd need to build walks up very slowly anyway - especially if, being a Lab, she's carrying any excess weight and has lost muscle tone etc.
She's lived with around several adult dogs and several puppies in the last 7 years. She's fine with other dogs, and I really think (I've known this dog her whole life there) that she'd gain confidence from having a calm and friendly dog like Axel there. If I'm wrong and she doesn't, we'll put him away and work with her alone.
Thanks for the advice about taking it slow, we certainly will be. The main aim of that Tuesday is to get her introduced to the idea and probably only on their street (a quiet cul-de-sac with no traffic). This girl needs lots of help becoming 'normal' again and if there's a dog that can help, it's Axel
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Can't add anything else good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >