Female 

23-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I wrote it................
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Well, poor Teagan hasn't had a walk since 18th January!
I can't take her since my transplant, and theres no one else nearby to take her

But guess what, I have the most amazing dog in the world, she hasn't complained once, or got hyper etc!
She comes and sits with me in the day, and we play a few games with her toys, and she has her antler to much on.
Isn't it great how dogs can just adapt to your current lifestyle, even if it is a great change, they just want to be with you! That's great to hear Hevvur.

For us, I do 50 mins with Zena on her own at 7.30, that's a run across open downland, meeting lots of other dogs, playing, sniffing,ball chucking.

Then mid-day or thereabouts, I take the pair of them out,. but I'm very limited coz of Georgie being nearly 13, but I go somewhere different for this walk, probably woodland, so Georgie can just amble along, I can't be doing with lots of dogs about when I've got the pair of them coz Georgie wanders over to other dogs we don't know, he's deaf as a post and half blind, and I then have to go and get him with Zena, and that can sometimes be a nightmare if the other dog doesn't like her, so I can't be doing with it! If it's pouring with rain,we just wander up to the village green and he gets his plod that way. This walk is usually 30/40 mins.

Now that spring is definitely sprung, I've dug the old bike out, so my morning walk with Zena will be on the bike now, lots of different places to go with that, country tracks and bridleways I can go a lot further on that bike, so she loves it! Once I get up the top in the car, it's pretty level and I can go for miles and miles if I'm in the mood!

She gets a 3rd walk at 5.30 which is just up on the green, and I usually have it all to myself that time of night, so we practice our down stays etc. which she adores doing, along with lots of heelwork coz she loves that too, she actually knows this is training time not play time which is also a good thing, maybe that's coz I've always done it in the evenings though! Then we finish with some ball throwing of course
Hayley_n_Max
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
hayleynmax - I do think that is a bit for a nine month old.

I know they can be 'full of beans' at that age but I would cut that amount down quite a lot and focus on keeping his mind busy rather than the walking. Especially as Labs are well known for hip and joint issues but all dogs/breeds can suffer the effects of over exercise. At the moment, 2.5 hours of exercise is too much IMHO.

edit; yep SB's post is good (thanks SB, I have looked for books on this, in stores and online and never could find them! The only one I have is a keep fit one but too basic for us really....how'd you find this one? as in info)
Just read Sb's Post and will take on board what you said. v Would an hour a day be enough or too much for a 9 month old ? as dont want to do him any damage at all...To be honest we thought he might of been ok with it but always turn to dogsey for advice where in doubt.

Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:06 PM
45 mins roughly.
Hayley_n_Max
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I wrote it................
Thanks SB for your very informative post and will take on board the information given on your post...
Hayley_n_Max
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
45 mins roughly.
Excellent thank you I shall cut it down to around 45 mins a day spread out over 3 walks per day.

Thanks SB
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:10 PM
You do not have to clock watch, but less is more when they are under 12 months old at the very least.

No need to stop them doing the zoomies at home...........
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by PerthLady View Post
Dex is getting about 4 walks a day totalling around 2 and a half hours plus lots of play time in the house and in the garden throughout the day. He's only 15 weeks old though so feel that is a good amount of evercise for him for now

xx
thats far to much exercise for a young puppy, SB article is a very informative, well worth a read,, but generally the golden rule for puppies is 5 mins per month.
So your 15 wk old should only be having around 20/25 mins day.

Now to mine, Millie gets a walk in the morning , through the woods, we are out about 45mins/1hr , she then gets another round the block at night about 20 mins.

Bandit used to do the morning walk, but not the nighttime one.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I think if you could cut it down further tbh.

Not sure what SB thinks but I would say that you could do 45mins tops and not all 'strict' walking either.

Try splitting it up into three short walks of 15 mins each if its walking on the pavement/lead. Mind you I do think they still need to be pups at that stage, a bit of playing in the garden or home, maybe an extra 5-10 mins a day playing with a dog that plays well in between isnt going to kill him.

I used to make up puzzle games (teach the names of objects and then once thats learned hiding them and teaching them to find specific things) half way through walk times provide a stuffed kong, teach them something....sometimes for the 15 mins take them to a different place, maybe the beach....

at one point when my current dog was about 10 months I upped the exercise a fair bit but I noticed he wasnt carrying his topline as firm and so that was too much IMHO and moved back to 'breaking it up' so learn to read your dog too, otherwise it would be easy to miss very subtle hints that its too much (a pup at that age will just keep going...)

SB - Thanks I just googled but anly available in $? (will look again)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:18 PM
oops, just realised SB has replied so ignore the line that say 'dont know what SB thinks...' lol
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >