View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Flashing collar suggestions for setters?

Hi, was reading the thread on nighttime walks and realised that you all might be able to help me with my winter collar problem. When the nights draw in Chester gets taken out first thing and after I finish work which can be late so I bought a flashing collar that was supposed to be suitable for bigger dogs. However I bought it off the internet and once it arrived it turns out though Chester is a larger dog he has a skinny little neck that this massive collar just looked ridiculous and was so heavy I felt guilty making him wear it-I'm such a pushover!-so am hoping other setter owners might be able to help me with any suggestions for alternatives. I would also say that he has a reflective collar too which is fine for road walks but when you're in the middle of a field there's not a lot of light to reflect! Sorry for the really long post but the more info the better right? Thanks in advance for your help
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:42 AM
For my mid-coated GSD (who's fur was too long for the flat blinking collars to show through) I bought the flashing lights that attach to their normal collar, like this one at the top of this page
http://www.traininglines.co.uk/safet...ear-683-0.html
There are some other options on that page though, which might give you some ideas
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:00 AM
We bought a small torch from the pound shop, its so small it could fit in my purse, just attach it to the collar where the dog tag goes and its great
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I use the clip on flashing lights for my English he wears two as tends to wander further you can pick them up in petshops easily too
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Just please do not buy the flashing tags that go on the collars because Ruby had one (I have previously posted this) and one day when she had a poo it was flashing - she had pulled it off the collar and eaten it...and "no" I didn't take it home, wash it and re-attach!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Just please do not buy the flashing tags that go on the collars because Ruby had one (I have previously posted this) and one day when she had a poo it was flashing - she had pulled it off the collar and eaten it...and "no" I didn't take it home, wash it and re-attach!
I've never heard of this before, I wouldn't say not to buy them just because of one freak incident. I would advise to buy the slightly better quality ones simply so they don't come loose because that's annoying and a waste of money if you don't find the flasher, but I used them for years and they never fell off my dog's collar (and I doubt she'd have bothered eating it if it had)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Blimey, please don't talk about nights drawing in yet, it is only July.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Quite ~ I'm still enjoying the fact that its light at 5.00 am & 8.00 pm. But we have passed the the peak of daylight hours so it's downhill till Xmas.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Just trying to get organised, difficult with setters I know, collecting our new addition next week so before I know it the nights will start at 5!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I swear by the clip on ones too. Couple of quid from the petshop. Wouldnt buy a flashing collar again as they last about 2 minutes and arent v bright. My boy has a flashing tag and a high viz vest and i carry a torch! (we got stopped by the gamekeeper on the footpath one night and he said he asked what we were doing? I said er. walking the dog?? he thought we were 'poaching'. What? with disco dog in a high viz??) I also now wear a high viz so I dont get shot at
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >