View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 03:26 PM

What a dilemma - but sorted now, I think!

As most of you know, I adore where I live in a shepherd's cottage on a hill farm in the remote, rural Lammermuir Hills in Scotland. Hubby loves his job as head shepherd and we have a good lifestyle and plenty of freedom.

Recently, a job was advertised for a shepherd back down on a Lake District hill farm - close to my family and the friends I left behind when I moved up to Scotland.

We hadn't really been considering moving, and if and when we do, we both thought we would go North (hence my thread on Highland Perthshire or Sutherland).

I do love the Lakes. It was where I was born and grew up, but I don't like how busy it gets and wasn't at all sure what to do. The pros would be being back close to the people that I miss, and it would mean that Ben would get to know his grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles etc a lot more, and he would probably get more of a "balanced" upbringing - ie a mix of country and town - whereas it is all country up here

I have to say, the whole dilemma mashed my head for a few days, but after discussing the job with the farm manager down in the Lakes it was obvious it would be a step backward for hubby and so wasn't really viable. The compromise was that we asked the farm manager to keep an ear to the ground for any suitable positions in the future.

Not sure I could bear to leave Scotland though!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Ohhh tough decision for you huh? Glad you managed to sort it in the end. I know how hard it is being away from family, we did it for a few years down in Grimsby before moving back home again.

The Lakes are stunning, but I agree they do get SO busy with the tourists.

If the position was a step backwards, I think you've done the right thing. One thing I always say regarding jobs is if you have to move, move forward, never back it is always harder to climb back up there again otherwise!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Tough decisions, but the thing to remember about any kind of decision like this is that it doesn't have to be forever...even if you do go back 'down south' that doesn't stop you coming back in a few years.

Mind you, I'd really miss being able to go for a walk with you
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks girls. It was a really tough decision and one that we had to thrash out for a number of days, but I feel much more settled again now that we have made our minds up to stay

I would miss you too Fiona
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Stay where you are, K. Every time I see your photos, I wish I was there.....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks Vicki - it is blooming lovely here, but the Lakes are gorgeous too albeit a bit busy.

Have to say though, when the farm manager of the job down there told us the farmhouse where we would live was on the side of the A6, it certainly made the job less attractive
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I'd stay, 110% I'd stay, you have what my OH and I dream of having
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Great decision. It's stunning where you are just now!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Sounds idyllic, must be hard work though especially in bad weather but i'd love to live somewhere like that in the middle of nowhere.

Never visited Scotland or the Lakes but would love to in the future. My dads family are from Dundee so would be nice to see that part of Scotland although i'm not sure what its like compared to where you are.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, and I had forgotten about this thread ...

until ... another great sounding job has come up in Highland Perthshire! Probably not any further to drive to as it is to get to us here for my family and friends back in England.

Ooh decisions decisions!

Does anyone know the Glen Lyon area at all? If so, the lowdown on the pros and cons would be fab.

Hubby is going to ring one of his shepherding friends who is on a neighbouring estate up there and get the insider info on the job and the landowner.

I will keep you posted.