Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Visitor problems

As you know aswell as our JRt, we have a Florrie, she is months 2 weeks, and a Westie cross Dandie Dinmont, both can be somewhat vocal and stubborn breeds, thus when crossed, can produce deafening offspring LOL
Anyway, whenever we have visitors Florrie will run in circles barking her head off, and when ever they gop to sit down she jumps up on the chair before them, and will give out a warning deep bark, and bark persistantly until they move away.
She has been doing this more often recently, and it allways seems to be with similar people. My cousin and her children, one of my nephews, and one of my aunts. These select people plus strangers are Florries enemies and she goes wild whenever they are in the house.
We are at our wits end, and need advice.
Why is she doing this?
And what can we do to stop it?
best wishes
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I would upend the chair once she had got onto it and let the visitor sit down. I would not interact with her in any way inlcuding looking at her!

Put her into another room and completely ignore her until she is quiet, then let her out but put her away again if she starts causing a fuss

She needs to learn that it is YOUR house and you are the boss and not her!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Will try this Mel, i feel that she is seeing how far she can push us, but i may be wrong
best wishes
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I would completely agree with Mel - she doesn't get to determine who sits where, and when, and how. At the moment it sounds like she's ruling the house, and if you don't stop it at puppy stage it's much harder to stop as an adult.

You may need to do the ignoring thing quite a few times before she catches on - only ignore her for a few mins at a time and only let her back in when she's nice and quiet. Repeat as necessary until she learns on good behaviour gets attention, and whatever you do don't try to coax her down off the seat! This only rewards the behaviour. As Mel says, either upend the seat or pick her up and carry her somewhere she'll be ignored for a while. Always remember to praise good behaviour otherwise they've no idea what to do right, but don't let her get away with things either. You decide what goes in your house!

Becs
pawprints
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Something we do, which may help in the long term with visitors, is to get them to ignore the dog/pup when they arrive ... you too, when you come in from being out ... he will jump around & try to get you to pet him but if you ignore him initially, he will soon calm down & then when he does ... call him to you & give him a cuddle. It really works but you have to be consistent ...or he will be confused ... shouting at him to be quiet (which we did), made our dog even worse... good luck! Lucy
pawprints
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Something we do, which may help in the long term with visitors, is to get them to ignore the dog/pup when they arrive ... you too, when you come in from being out ... he will jump around & try to get you to pet him but if you ignore him initially, he will soon calm down & then when he does ... call him to you & give him a cuddle. It really works but you have to be consistent ...or he will be confused ... shouting at him to be quiet (which we did), made our dog even worse... good luck! Lucy
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 08:48 PM
when tyson gets fussed ( he loves everyone so far but can be a little excitable ) we give him a time out in the hall way or kitchen untill he calms down .after the barking ,scratching and crying have stopped and hes quiet we will let him back in .. this approach seems to be working as then he comes in he comes for a pet and itsnt jumpimg all over the place like a mexican juming bean and usually has a sorrowfull expression on his wee face , he doesnt like door being closed on him at all hasnt since we got him .so he has run of the house apart from upstairs as we have a gate on the stairs , so this approach was the best way to stop him nibbling people and jumping up at them