Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Dog going beserk when on lead and not allowed to greet other dogs or people

Just hoping someone can advise me

My 18 month old Lab gets very excited when anyone is nearby, and also if another dog is close. He used to jump up at any person who passed but our trainer has helped me stop this. But now, he seems far more frequently to go a bit crazy when anyone walks nearby - he barks like mad, rears up on his hind legs, etc.

I *think* it's frustration at not being allowed to greet them - he's not remotely aggressive so I don't think it's that..... He now does the same thing when we are near any other dog.

No distraction seems to work.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice?

Thank you in advance for any responses.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Do you have any friends to be stooges and help in training? I would perhaps speak to your trainer but one idea that springs to mind is teaching him that calmness means he gets to say hello, frustrated behaviour means that the thing he wants to get to (person/dog) goes away (either by them walking off or you leading him away).
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:26 PM
THANKS so much for that advice

My best mate has two Labs but alas they also have 'issues' and go about as beserk as my dog...

The trainer did bring another, very calm dog with for one of our sessions and I practised walking Dexter past her. But his calmer behaviour didn't 'hold' outside the training session...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:38 PM
havent we covered this in the other thread?

have you tryed clicking any calm behaviour, clicking eating food off floor etc.

its so hard to tell without seeing him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Could I recommend that you read `The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson or Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training by Pamela Dennison (not a comment on you, just a daft title, sorry!)
I think if you have an understanding of positive training you will see that all training runs together. Teaching your dog to sit and wait for his lead helps him control himself and listen to you when out, which makes it easier for you to teach other stuff etc etc.
In order to train calm walking, you first need to put in the preliminary work - teaching your dog to listen to you, teaching him to walk in a loose lead, to focus on you when you ask etc. All this hard work in the house, all the baby steps, build up to a happy, well behaved dog. But you need to start with basics.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 04:50 PM
THANKS

In the house he does listen - he obeys all the commands.

It's just that when he sees another dog or someone gets close, his excitement is so intense.

I'll get those books though, cheers.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 11:59 AM
In the house there is nothing more interesting for the dog to look at...........

This is why the words "he does it at home" are a) fined when used at any club I am at and b) are pointless.

A dog will behave in the house, garden and the village hall as therre is nothing more exciting to tempt him.

How well would you continue to work if (insert name of relevant heartthrob) walked through your place of work?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
THANKS

In the house he does listen - he obeys all the commands.

It's just that when he sees another dog or someone gets close, his excitement is so intense.

I'll get those books though, cheers.
As said, at home there's little distractions, out in the big wide world it's hard for dogs to remember some of their training because other stuff looks more exciting - for example, other dogs he can go and say hello to.
Ideally you want to slowly build up the amount of distractions. Quiet house or training hall as step 1, and work your way up to busy park in babysteps. Empty garden with a few outside noises as distractions, driveway with a few more visual distractions, quiet street road with the odd passerby, field/park at a quiet time, etc. - only moving up when he's got the hang of it at the last level.
A calm stooge dog could be a real help because you'll want to work in stages with that too. For example, when you're out in the driveway, get the stooge dog & owner to start off right down the street, and gradually work on them being closer and closer with Dexter not reacting. Ditto in the street, the quiet park, etc. - you need to have patience but you will get there eventually
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Now I am fantasising!

rune
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Tala used to be like this particularly with other dogs. It's excitement. I found maturity helped a lot but she still thinks the world is a wonderful place and everyone in it must want to be her friend.

You could try a headcollar and the exercises in Control Unleashed.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >