Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2005, 10:11 AM

A friend for Ernie...?

Ok, it is just a thought at the moment but Ernie is now nearly 6 months old. He have the company of everyone, esspecially other dogs.

Do you think he would benifit from a Friend?

And what sort of Friend? He is very much a rough and rumble kind of dog and very active. I know that I have to be careful to get one that he gets on well with. Would it be best to get him a old friend from a rescue place, that has the confidence like he does? Would he be better with another male or a female (he is going to be 'done' next week, bless him?

Or do you think he is OK being my only centre of attension??

Your opnions would be appresiated!
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Opps, can someone put htis is the dog chat page? Sorry!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi Nade another friend for Ernie would be great but I would wait until he is a little older..at least a year and preferably 18 month. This will give you a chance to enjoy him while he is a puppy and to train him fully..also it will mean he will bond fully with you and not another dog
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 02:27 PM
we've recently been considering getting a friend for gemma, if we do it will probly be a small breed like a jrt , as i mostly walk gemma on my own and two labs would be too much, but i think most likely we'll wait till next summer to be really sure, and in the meantime i've decided to get us assesed as a pat/dog team , i think if we pass we'll both really enjoy it .
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I would agree Mini and wait until Ernie is that bit older, 1 year minimum. Wait for him to get his teenage tantrums out of the way!

But pleeeeeeease consider calling your next one Bert!
Bears Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I would agree Mini and wait until Ernie is that bit older, 1 year minimum. Wait for him to get his teenage tantrums out of the way!

But pleeeeeeease consider calling your next one Bert!

I got a friend for Holly when she was 4. I considered a pup but am so glad we opted for a rescue. Our rescue, The Bear, is 10 now. I can recommend a second dog - it worked for us!!! In fact, I'd love a third now
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I got my first dog Charlie when he was 10months old, and he needed a lot of training (he wasnt even housetrained and could only 'sit') and he's been hit in his previous home for being naughty apparently, but I dont agree with hitting my babes, anyway he was 2 when I got dusty and she was 9 months when I got maddy, but bearing in mind shes a really small dog and is more mature at 9 months than a larger breed would be.

At the end of the day its up to you and your current situation, if you think you could handle another, people think i'm mad having 3 dogs but i'd be lost without the manicness in my house!

When I got dusty I was already planning to get A weimar when I thought Dusty was 'old enough', that being fully housetrained, leash trained, basic commands and out of her 'mad puppy stage'. the main problem with having two pups would be the training the both of them, i'm sure we are all aware how much work one dog is to train!

Hope this helps xx
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Hi Nade..I own two JR's and think that dogs can benefit hugely from having a companion...It may perhaps be best advice for you to wait until your boy is older and you have calmed him down and trained him, before getting him a friend but it really is your decision to make tho, as only you know your situation...One thought to perhaps consider would be to look for an older calm and friendly female from rescue, as she would probably mother your little pup as well as being his best friend...This works well in my experience...Best of luck...Best Wishes JRL