Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Henri James
New Member!
Male 

05-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Curiosity killed the cat..

Hi all, just looking for some advice and input on all of your expertise. What things do you wish you could do more of with your dog and would you be willing to pay a small amount to accomplish those things? Examples would be: crazy tricks, like you see in movies or on tv, grooming tips, general training, caring for your dog, quality of life for a dog, or anything! Just wanna find out what all your thoughts are on this. Thanks for the help!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Henri James View Post
Hi all, just looking for some advice and input on all of your expertise. What things do you wish you could do more of with your dog and would you be willing to pay a small amount to accomplish those things? Examples would be: crazy tricks, like you see in movies or on tv, grooming tips, general training, caring for your dog, quality of life for a dog, or anything! Just wanna find out what all your thoughts are on this. Thanks for the help!
Hi Henri sorry but I am not sure I fully understand the question.
I don't 'wish I could do more' of anything with my dog and if I did I would get on and do it .
Many of the things one does with a dog take time and patience, money is not necessary.

ETA I hope this post isn't a subtle way of selling something, if so that could be considered to be spamming and that is not allowed on the forums as you will know if you read our Terms of Use.
Henri James
New Member!
Male 

05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Thank you. That is a suitable reply. Just to reiterate; you don't think it would be cool if your dog could take out the trash for you?
Meg
Supervisor

05-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Thank you. That is a suitable reply. Just to reiterate; you don't think it would be cool if your dog could take out the trash for you?
No, I don't think that 'would be cool'.
And anyway where would she take it and how would she sort it and wash it before placing it into the appropriate receptacles . I have enough trouble doing this myself
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-10-2011, 11:42 PM
What things do you wish you could do more of with your dog
Have a conversation... in English
Henri James
New Member!
Male 

05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Haha, I see. Well my yellow lab takes out our house's main bag of trash, we tie it up by the door every Wednesday evening and then Thursday morning she'll run it to the the trash-man down the block at 7:00 am sharp and I haven't met anybody who thought that wasn't cool yet, especially the guys that get to sleep in that I live with
Meg
Supervisor

05-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Haha, I see. Well my yellow lab takes out our house's main bag of trash, we tie it up by the door every Wednesday evening and then Thursday morning she'll run it to the the trash-man down the block at 7:00 am sharp and I haven't met anybody who thought that wasn't cool yet, especially the guys that get to sleep in that I live with
you let your dog run off down the road alone where there is traffic ?
Sorry I don't think that is at all 'cool', I think it is foolhardy.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Like Mini said, If there was anything I wanted to do with my dog, I would do it myself and get on with it without paying someone else to do it for me. The only thing I'd pay for would be daycare/a walker if I wasn't able to get home to let my dog out during my lunch break or a groomer if my dog was of a breed that needed a specific grooming technique.

With regards to a specific part of your post, I think general training and 'crazy tricks' are something that should be taught by the owner, so I certainly wouldn't pay someone to teach my dog something like that.

And no, I wouldn't want my dog to take out the trash because I am perfectly capable of doing it myself and value my dog's safety too much to allow her to take a bag of rubbish out by a busy road just because it's 'cool'.
Henri James
New Member!
Male 

06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
I think you guys are assuming a little too much here but I enjoy your input anyways. I've watched my dog go many times and she is an awfully smart gal, stays on the sidewalk the whole way and where I'm from if I see a single car that early it'd be a big surprise.
I should get a video of it one of these days but don't have a video camera, I've been wanting to get her little crush on the trash-man on film for quite sometime, but its not fair, I think he bribes her
And of course I could take out the trash myself, I could also do my own taxes, mix my own drinks, and cut my roommates hair. But instead I leave it to others; but the moment my dog, accountant, bar-tender, or barber start complaining I'll get right on it

And I do think you guys need to lighten-up a little bit.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 01:29 AM
I think you guys are assuming a little too much here but I enjoy your input anyways. I've watched my dog go many times and she is an awfully smart gal, stays on the sidewalk the whole way and where I'm from if I see a single car that early it'd be a big surprise.
I should get a video of it one of these days but don't have a video camera, I've been wanting to get her little crush on the trash-man on film for quite sometime, but its not fair, I think he bribes her
And of course I could take out the trash myself, I could also do my own taxes, mix my own drinks, and cut my roommates hair. But instead I leave it to others; but the moment my dog, accountant, bar-tender, or barber start complaining I'll get right on it

And I do think you guys need to lighten-up a little bit.
I'm sorry but I don't think anyone needs to lighten-up - you are allowing your dog to go off-lead by a road, that's completely irresponsible. My mother lives in a quiet little village where there is barely any traffic and I still wouldn't let even the most well trained of dogs out there unsupervised to put the rubbish out. Never. Even if you discount the possibility of your dog running off/going in the road, there are tonnes of other things that could happen. What if someone doesn't see her and runs her over? What if someone sees her and thinks she's a stray so takes her? Or steals her?

I'm sorry but I don't think we need to lighten up at all. I don't think anyone on this forum would condone what you allow your dog to do.

And for the record, just because your dog is 'happy' to do something doesn't mean it's right for them to do it. My dog would happily chew sticks and eat tissues all day but I'd be an idiot to let her do that.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >