View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Well i own a toy...but no i'm not offended, it would be a sad place if we all owned the same.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm not insulted, honest

I will always love my collies and GSD's but we always have a small dog to go with them,have had toy poodle, CKCS, Shih-Tzu and now FB the pug. Pugs being my very favourite small dog.
I honestly dont think I would ever own a terrier or any of the giant breeds
I'm just a committed collie and GSD person
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Never say never....

I ruled out Chows as a breed but now that I have a Chow X, I'd definitely consider a purebred one.
Also, a couple of years ago, I'd have said no toy breeds, no bull breeds and no poodles. However, pugs are now top of my list for breeds to have when I'm too old for the big'uns; I have developed a real soft spot for Bull Terriers and Standard Poodles after meeting several of each that have been utterly charming

Who knows what the future holds?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
I dont think I would ever opt for a border collie, gorgeous as they are. I couldnt deal with a dog thats cleverer than me!!!!
I love BC's too but wouldn't have one for the same reason!!

Being a shallow person for purely aesthetic reasons I would want any of the bull breeds, I know a few individuals I love but would never want one.

Although I love scruffy Lurchers and Irish Wolf hounds I don't think I will ever really want a dog that is bigger/stronger than I am and as I'm quite small that rules out lots of breeds...

I don't really want any of the breeds that tend to smell doggy. I didn't know the corded breeds tend to smell so now I know I don't want one!

Although I love Elkhounds and the look of most of the Northern breeds I don't really want a dog that is going mean daily hoovering, although somewhere in my future there is a Finnish Spitz I'll make an exception for!

So for me, right now, the best things come in small packages! I love my Mini Schnauzer and sometime this year I plan to be adding an Affenpinscher to our family. The smaller they are the more I'll be able to fit!

J
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't say never to any breed, but I can't ever imagine having anything other than a BC
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Well i am only little, lise can tell you that, if there is a breed you realy like, don't let size put you off.
If i can handle pudding, i am sure most other people could.
He's double me, this was 1 of the things i was asked with the leo's, my size > leo's.
Who said smaller people can't handle big dogs, like all breeds if you have control you need, then he is no harder than my mum lhasa.
But it is daily hoovering.............
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 08:22 PM
You've only got to look at Colonel and Karen - she's tiny and he's enormous
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I will never own a long haired dog again, ever, we've had our newfie 11 years now and the hair problem is a nightmare short hair breeds only, from now on.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2008, 09:34 PM
For me, i wouldnt have: Yorkie, Chihuahua. For the reason they are just too small and not dog like enough for me. Also would never have a Pug as i feel they are just too ugly.(no offence intended)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Hmm a difficult one! There are two major issues that I couldn't live with:

1] Slobber! As much as I love Dogue de Bordeaux's, Bullmastiffs, Boxers and the like I just don't think I could cope with the slobber!

2] Any dog that, due to it's conformation, couldn't live a natural life. For example, dogs that are so wrinkly they can't see or get skin disease. Or dogs that are so short they can't run along with other dogs etc

Other than that I don't think I could own a Bichon. Harvey, my Sisters dog, is absolutely gorgeous! But..........he gets absolutely filty when taken for field walks, yaps for England and at the age of 2 is still leaving "welcome home" presents in the kitchen!

A BC for me is out I think due to my past experience.

Also I don't think I could own a Staffie these days due to the media hype that just won't go away. I'd be terrified that somehow they'd manage to take the dog away and have it pts.

Other than that I tend to prefer lean dogs as opposed to heavy ones (aside from Fatty Isla!) ie Dobe rather than Rottie, Husky rather than Mal, Springer Spaniel rather than Clumber!

Apart from that I'm not fussy!
Page 7 of 23 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »