View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:37 PM
It is like banging ones head against a brick wall.

The people who support showing will never accept that any part of it or any participants in it can possibly be doing the wrong thing.

That is why there are dogs who cannot give birth naturally and dogs who have so many other problems.

It seems there is no way of getting through to them.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
She is pampered, but and this is a genuine question, because i can sort of see the no walking bit, Fudge is only walked a couple of times of week otherwise he's crippled, how the hell do you give sufficient time and attention to 20 dogs, its hard enough with 5, i just can't imagine it with 20
You can't!

rune
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

The people who support showing will never accept that any part of it or any participants in it can possibly be doing the wrong thing.

That is why there are dogs who cannot give birth naturally and dogs who have so many other problems.

rune
That's a little unfair. I personally think dogs should be walked daily and live varied lives, but I can't call the life of Elizabeth 'cruel' because she is clearly well cared for. I know lots of people who show, the majority exercise their dogs like dogs. Some don't but they aren't cruel, just possibly overprotective, perhaps lazy, but cruel is too strong. I don't always agree with what other people do with regards to their dogs, but you and I both know that there are a lot of pet dogs living miserable lives and people who don't work with dogs would be shocked by what rescuers, trainers, groomers etc. see. The point being that I see things day in day out that would make most forum member's toes curl. Compared to these, living a sheltered life would seem like heaven.

As for dogs who can't give birth etc. I agree I can't understand why people would breed from bitches which cannot whelp, but that's another subject entirely.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:06 PM
You can't!

rune
and thats what i find saddest, not only is a fit and healthy dog deprived the freedom and joy of romping round and getting muddy etc, she probably only gets undevided attentio when shes being got ready for a show
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:07 PM
and thats what i find saddest, not only is a fit and healthy dog deprived the freedom and joy of romping round and getting muddy etc, she probably only gets undevided attentio when shes being got ready for a show
That's an assumption. You don't know how that dog is treated at all.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
That's an assumption. You don't know how that dog is treated at all.
It is an assumption, but there are 24hrs in a day, lets say 8 of them you're asleep, to feed 20 either end of the day lets say takes an hr, that leaves 15hrs, take a couple of hours off for other things, cooking, showering yourself and eating, that leaves less than an hr to give to each dog, would you be happy giving each of yours that little time, i know i wouldn't and it maybe an assumption but its simple maths that there are only so many hrs in the day.

ETA especially seen as she doesn't let the poms mix with the lhasas so its hardly likely they're all going to be ligged on the sofa together, just in case one of their coats get damaged you know
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:27 PM

rune
So because I show I'm suddenly part of the reason some dog breeds aren't as healthy as they should be?

I suppose I best wake up my healthy, tired, full bellied, working show gundog and tell him.

There are a lot of pet dogs out there suffering needlessly, yet I don't blame you for their suffering just because you're a pet dog owner. That would be beyond ridiculous!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:31 PM
It is an assumption, but there are 24hrs in a day, lets say 8 of them you're asleep, to feed 20 either end of the day lets say takes an hr, that leaves 15hrs, take a couple of hours off for other things, cooking, showering yourself and eating, that leaves less than an hr to give to each dog, would you be happy giving each of yours that little time, i know i wouldn't and it maybe an assumption but its simple maths that there are only so many hrs in the day
I'm not happy about some of the working gundogs kept in kennels 23 hours a day to keep them keen and make them easier to train. I mean, what a cruel way to keep an animal.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm not happy about some of the working gundogs kept in kennels 23 hours a day to keep them keen and make them easier to train. I mean, what a cruel way to keep an animal.
Neither am i, i like my working gundogs to be with me thanks very much, and you don't see me defending them either,i'm the first to admit there is still a lot bad in the working world, be it breeding, training etc, and the way they're kennelled, i definately don't bury my head in the sand and pretend itsnot happening, it was a genuine question how do you give 20 dogs quality time in a 24hr period, like i originally said i find it difficult with 5, 2o would seem impossible, i have even stopped fostering some of the problem dogs that we used to take here, because i feel i can't give them enough input
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 09:09 PM
It dosent matter the subject the show people will defend do the death other show people even if they dont agree with what the other person is doing

From the article
She says the dog is crated when she cant give her her undevided attention - incase she hurts herself

So how many hours a day are we going to guess that little dog is crated??
Well the 8 hours sleeping
then there is the time where the poms are being exercised - so another hour
Then she talks about washing her twice a week, lets assume 1/2 the dogs are needing show attenton - so 10 dogs twice a week needing bathed and dried - roughly 2.8 dogs a day - lets round down to be nice - 2 dogs a day to be washed - would take at least 3 hours to do the 2 dogs properly
Then cooking and mealtimes would take up another hour
thats at least 13 hours crated without taking times where they want to cuddle the poms, times out shopping, grooming the other dogs
so still think it isnt cruel that the little dog is likely crated more than 1/2 its life?
Page 5 of 24 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »