Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Vaccinations & boosters

Just saw in another thread people saying their dogs do not have boosters, I have always vaccinated my dogs and given boosters because I have always had it drummed in that is what you do, if you don't not vaccinate what is your reason, by the way I am not criticising I am genuinely interested, you never learn if you don't ask
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:39 PM
http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

Look under vaccines here, that may give you some idea why some people choose not to vaccinate.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks smokeybear, will have a peruse
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:46 PM
For me, it's difficult to decide. I wasnt going to do it again as I really dont feel they are necessary as frequently as we are led to believe. My vets do full boosters every 2 years, with just lepto in between but I feel that is too often.

But then there are other things to be weighed against not vaccinating - such as insurance, kennelling, and being a donor for the PBBuk.

The previous 2 family dogs had their initial vaccinations and then just a booster at a year old, nothing else afterwards and they never became ill through not being vaccinated. But my own dogs now are more of a high risk because they go to various training classes, they've been in kennels, I often visit the local rescue centre where I could bring back something on my shoe, they are at a higher risk of catching lepto etc.

I dont want to vaccinate but there is still a voice in my head telling me I should.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I also use kennels from time to time which is another reason I always vaccinate.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I have Cosmo done with the lepto annually as he is always in mud or water. The others are on a 3 year schedule. I never do KC.
Tango is not vaccinated. She had a cancerous tumour removed a couple of years ago and I refuse to comprise her immune system. My vet is supportive. She is insured just not for the illnesses vaccinations cover.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I haven't vaccinated without first titre testing my puppies for over 30 years now, My father always had his dogs vaccinated regularly & it cost one of his dogs it's life, he died less that 3 hours after having a lepto booster, the reaction started before he had even paid for the vaccination.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I have always done puppy jabs but am wondering about homeopathic nosodes instead for the next one. I don't do boosters because I think it's unecessary and potentially harmful. I don't use kennels, our dogs come with us on holidays, but if we wanted to go abroad I have a friend with private kennels who would have our lot.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I haven't vaccinated without first titre testing my puppies for over 30 years now, My father always had his dogs vaccinated regularly & it cost one of his dogs it's life, he died less that 3 hours after having a lepto booster, the reaction started before he had even paid for the vaccination.
That is dreadful, how sad
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I was researching about whether to continue with boosters and found these:
http://www.future-of-vaccination.co....s-boosters.asp
http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/p..._overview.aspx

My old vet would allow up to 18 months between boosters but now they has been taken over by a franchise, the new corporate policy is if the boosters are more than 13 months apart then the vaccination regime has to start again.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >