Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Best food to 'solve' anal gland problems

Bill, our springer has always suffered with his anal glands.
A couple of months ago we put him on a raw diet.
But the last few days he's been dragging his bum and he's stinky again.

He has chicken carcass / mince about every other day (with other days of fish / mince, offal / chicken, etc).

Any ideas on how I can help him please?

Is it just chicken bones more often, or would ground egg-shell help (and how much)?

Any input welcome.

Thanks folks.

Em
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Bill, our springer has always suffered with his anal glands.
A couple of months ago we put him on a raw diet.
But the last few days he's been dragging his bum and he's stinky again.

He has chicken carcass / mince about every other day (with other days of fish / mince, offal / chicken, etc).

Any ideas on how I can help him please?

Is it just chicken bones more often, or would ground egg-shell help (and how much)?

Any input welcome.

Thanks folks.

Em

If you feed twice a day one of those meals should be of RMBs.

If you add powdered eggshell this will significantly increase the level of calcium in the diet and unbalance the CA:P ratio.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Trophy Duck and Vegetable is excellent for sorting this out. My friend's cocker visited the vet every 2 months to have his anal glands emptied but since he started eating this he doesn't go at all.

Google Trophy Petfoods for your nearest supplier (they deliver to your home) or contact Head Office for more information.

I cannot recommend their food highly enough.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:38 PM
One thing to consider is that sometimes it can be a deformity of the anal glands that cause constant problems that diet doesn't fix - e.g. they're not quite the right angle to empty properly every time. Surgery can be performed but from what I've heard, it's a last attempt rather than something to rush into.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
We had this problem with one of ours every month they had to get them emptied & vets talked of surgery.

By giving them 2-3 raw chicken wings daily for breakfast it stopped the problem totally. Nowadays we dont feed raw however we still add chicken wings to the diet about 2-3 times a week. For a while you coud try your dog with daily ration of chicken wings included in the diet & hopefully you would have the success we had