View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I only breed if I want a puppy to keep myself and for the betterment (in my opinion) of the breed (in this case Miniature Poodles)
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
what about reputable breeders they are not making money?
oh no I forgot they are just making sure we have a better class of strays!!
The majority of ETHICAL breeders don't make money no, after all is spent etc, they are usually lucky to break even. Most breeders breed for a pup for themselves which they wish to introduce a new one to their line/kennels.

As for them producing Strays.............what evidence have you to suggest this, as it's a very nasty comment to make ??
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I have a purebred shepherd that was on death row at 6 months dumped by his owner because he is a very bad epileptic this dog was bred by a supposedly reputable breeder who sold him for alot of money and he ended up on death row with only 2 hrs to live.I found him while cruising the shelter and just in time I wasnt trying to be nasty with that coment just speaking what I know from personal experience to be true I spend alot of time going thru the kill shelter and see more and more purebreds than mutts my shepherd is currently on pheno and potassium and still has gran mals every month he cant be left alone at anytime he is a beauty and he came from the shelter?
check out petfinder.com and see howmany purebreds are in shelters currently
BL
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 03:03 PM
The dog may well have come from a reputable breeder who had never been given the chance to take the dog back, alternatively the breeder wasn't reputable and wanted nothing more to do with the pup once it had left the premises.
Becky
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The dog may well have come from a reputable breeder who had never been given the chance to take the dog back, alternatively the breeder wasn't reputable and wanted nothing more to do with the pup once it had left the premises.
Becky
That I understand, had the breeder been given a chance
they may well have taken it back but it doesnt change the fact that the dog ended up in the shelter and maybe the breeder wasnt so good who knows
I am not trying to pee anybody off I know nothing of breeding there is always 2 sides to every story but I get mad everytime I look a 1/2 my dogs because 1/2 of them were bred for something they didnt work out and they were dumped we also have a coonhound who is gunshy that was dropped off in the middle of the road another shepherd who just grew to big to fit in the truckers cab anymore so he was left tied up at the truckstop with a note on his
collar I am just giving you guys a look at the other side off the coin I am not dissing you just trying to understand why all these poor dogs have to die or starve to death with noone to love em
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
I have a purebred shepherd that was on death row at 6 months dumped by his owner because he is a very bad epileptic this dog was bred by a supposedly reputable breeder who sold him for alot of money and he ended up on death row with only 2 hrs to live.I found him while cruising the shelter and just in time I wasnt trying to be nasty with that coment just speaking what I know from personal experience to be true I spend alot of time going thru the kill shelter and see more and more purebreds than mutts my shepherd is currently on pheno and potassium and still has gran mals every month he cant be left alone at anytime he is a beauty and he came from the shelter?
check out petfinder.com and see howmany purebreds are in shelters currently
BL

As explained before, it's not a case of crossbreed -v- purebred.

It's a case of WHO produces the most Rescues/unwanted dogs. And this cannot be the responsibility of Ethical breeders who know the wherabouts of the majority of what they breed and don't breed nearly anywhere near as much as BYBs and PFs. But then in your own admission, you know nothing of breeding, so who are you to judge

It's down to Puppy farmers and BYBs, who breed purebred dogs !!

As for Strays, your pup was taken by it's owner to the centre, that isn't a stray !!

Puppy farmers churn out Purebreeds too you know
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
The majority of ETHICAL breeders don't make money no, after all is spent etc, they are usually lucky to break even.
Sorry I don't believe that for one minute, first litter yes a loss might be made if you take in to consideration health testing. or if there are complications but I think it's a bit much to try and convince people that Ethical breeders don't make money from their pups
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
You'd be surprised how many breeders say they take back their own, but when it becomes a reality, they come up with a reason why they can't
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Sorry I don't believe that for one minute, first litter yes a loss might be made if you take in to consideration health testing. or if there are complications but I think it's a bit much to try and convince people that Ethical breeders don't make money from their pups
Honestly I can't say I made money with any of my litters. First one was 8 pups, one still born so 7 live. I kept one which meant 6 for say at £150 each and yes they were KC reg etc but it was hard back in those days selling PRT at anything but JRT price. Stud fee was cost of puppy. Had several trips to vet because of last pup taking time and being still born plus I thought she had eclampsia when she started shaking her head. 2nd one was five pups 1 kept, one cost of stud fee plus vet trips microchipping and first vaccination KC reg etc.
3rd Litter was an opps she had difficulty giving birth spent all day at the vet at a cost of £700, 6 male pups 2 still born 1 PTS due to lung damage. 1 sold £200 2 given away. 4rd Litter donated to Hearing Dogs. 5th Litter 2 pups kept one one sold so no costs covered there!

Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
You'd be surprised how many breeders say they take back their own, but when it becomes a reality, they come up with a reason why they can't
Yes I do understand that but then they don't fall into the reputable breeder group then.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I stick to what I have already said. I think that this has to be looked at in a proportional manner. BYB etc breed more dogs than ethical ones...but the percentage of each that need rehoming/put into rescue, could well be the same, we will just never be able to get the real figures.

As for cross breeds....well you know what, my cross breed has given us 11 years (so far) of absolute joy. He was from a byb...who dumped the bitch when she was pregnant. I still wouldn't be without him and the woman who rescued his mum wouldn't have been without the many years of happiness she had with her.
Page 8 of 42 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »