View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Pushchairs, puppy and whining!!!!!

Another poster has already mentioned that her puppy whines when going for a walk.

Although some of the previous advice was a bit helpful, I'm not sure how to apply it in my situation.

Angus is a 15 week old Border Terrier. He's good natured, great with the kids, generally well behaved and in good health It's just when we go for a walk.

We don't take him too far, but some days he has a little walk and some days a bit longer and that's when I use the pushchair for my 2 girls.

Angus whines and pulls and will not be distracted by anything. He won't wee, he won't sniff he just put his ears back and sticks rigidly to the side of the chair.

Without the chair, he pulls and whines, but likes to have a good sniff.

Obviously the pushchair makes a difference, but it's something that he really just has to get used to. I really want to enjoy having a walk, but I just get stressed by it.

I can ignore it for so long, but then it gets a bit worse and I end up telling him to shut up and feel like kicking him up his furry little ass!!

I stop when he pulls and praise him when he is quiet or gets distracted from the pushchair.

Please tell me that this will end!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by sticky
Another poster has already mentioned that her puppy whines when going for a walk.

Although some of the previous advice was a bit helpful, I'm not sure how to apply it in my situation.

Angus is a 15 week old Border Terrier. He's good natured, great with the kids, generally well behaved and in good health It's just when we go for a walk.

We don't take him too far, but some days he has a little walk and some days a bit longer and that's when I use the pushchair for my 2 girls.

Angus whines and pulls and will not be distracted by anything. He won't wee, he won't sniff he just put his ears back and sticks rigidly to the side of the chair.

Obviously the pushchair makes a difference, but it's something that he really just has to get used to. I really want to enjoy having a walk, but I just get stressed by it.

I can ignore it for so long, but then it gets a bit worse and I end up telling him to shut up and feel like kicking him up his furry little ass!!

I stop when he pulls and praise him when he is quiet or gets distracted from the pushchair.

He is only a little puppy and I am sure his whining will stop in time - 15 weeks is no age at all. Please don't ever think about kicking him - you will only make things a lot worse and you wouldn't think of kicking your children if they whined would you.

I am sure someone will be along with some good advice soon.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
15 weeks is so young!!! Bless!!! He's learning how to cope with being on a lead, how to cope with walking, how to cope with life, let alone a buggy and children and irate owner!!!! As soon as you get a bit cross that will transfer to him, he will feel it and that will make him hate his walks all the more...make him whine more...make you more cross...you see where I'm going???

He needs to learn how to walk on a lead, free of stress. Can you practice in the garden/locally??? Take lots of tasty treats and reward him when he's being good...use your voice to encourage and distract him ( high pitched works well). I would say , if at all possible, until you've got the lead thing cracked, for your own sanity, don't take him out with the buggy, you'll feel more stressed having the buggy/children/pup to deal with and he'll feel that. Give yourself and him a break!!!!! Ease up and try to keep all his walks happy walks and he'll get there in no time... Ax
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Aww your pup is still a wee baby. You may have to start again with first letting him know the big bad world, isn't that bad! Lots of treats and praise outside and he will get there eventually x
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 11:34 AM
How long are you walking for? I really wouldn't go for longer than about 15-20 minutes with him for now. Perhaps he has learned to associate the pushchair with being made to walk too far for his teeny legs..? While he is growing, you must be extra careful to not overdo the exercise or you could do lasting damage to his bone structure and to his joints.

In the meantime, persuade him that good things happen when the pushchair is near. Feed him by it, play games by it, then start taking it out even for his very short walks, giving treats and praise (as you have said) to reinforce the desired behaviour.

Good luck and, as the others have said, remember he's only a baby. You wouldn't be cross with your daughters fro not wanting to walk further than is comfortable!
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
the walking will gat much better. keep up the hard work. and try not to kick his little bum (i no you were joking)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi Sticky welcome to Dogweb.
May I make a couple of observations, firstly remember the five minutes per month of age rule for walking puppies....so at the moment you should be walking Angus a maximum of 15mins per day on a lead with lots off lead play and exercises at home .

Secondly, your puppy is at an important learning stage, you are setting the pattern for the rest of his life, scare him now and you could always have a problem when walking him. It I was a tiny puppy I would be scared of walking by the side of a pushchair, you could also cause physical injure to a tiny puppy with the wheels. Angus sounds a delightful puppy, it would be terrible if he got injured

I appreciate it may be difficult to fit everything in with so many little ones, but walking on the lead should be a pleasurable experience for your puppy and time should be set aside to walk him alone.
Alfiemoon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
and you wouldn't think of kicking your children if they whined would you.
Er yes, and the bigger the boot the better

Don't worry Sticky, things will get better. It's just going to take time patients and lots of yummy treats.:smt002
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Have you thought about taking him out in your arms once or twice (as hes only little) he might feel a bit more secure if he gets a chance to 'observe the world' from a slightly less scary angle.still keep his lead on and p'haps pop him down to have a little sniff here and there(or a wee!!) and see how he walks.I did this a couple of times with both of mine soon after they arrived 'home' and i feel it made a difference.
I hope things improve for you both,i'm sure they will in time xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by sticky

I'd suggest a stop/pull harness rather than a collar unless you are already using one - the Kumfi/Hi craft one is good.

I'd suspect he is frightened by the pushchair.

I know you are partially joking re the kicking him up his bum but, you are obviously also frustrated! All I can say is, it can take months to train dogs, many are not trained to be "sensible" until they are mature which can take up to 3 years or more if a very large breed .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >