Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Writtle college dog training centre

When I studied animal care I did dog training with all ready trained dogs and got a bronze award which I was quite proud of since ive never worked with dogs before in my life and the all ready trained dalmation was deaf (hand signals only))

That was about 8 years ago so I dont know how much the place has changed in that time. Ive been on their dog training website and happy to see that they don't believe in using harsh punishment on a dog, on all of the sites ive visited many don't explain their training techniques but writtle does a little.

So i guess what im asking has anyone else used writtle college for dog training and how was it???

I came very close to picking a local class at two tree island but ive felt not so sure about it. Writtle apeals as you can go onto to do other stuff like agility or gundog training or advanced obediance and plus mum said she would be happy to drive me and Millie their!

Its an hours drive away and mum knows the way since she has drivern their in my college days ^^
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 05:13 PM
That's quite a long drive. I'm in two minds about the 45mins to an hour it takes me to get to agility - and that's with the benefit of it being close to Richmond park and my parents - so a day out.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
That's quite a long drive. I'm in two minds about the 45mins to an hour it takes me to get to agility - and that's with the benefit of it being close to Richmond park and my parents - so a day out.
It might be shorter then that because just before I finnished college their was a lot of road work going on and now its faster to get to writtle but the classes we can attend are on a sunday.

id probably say 30 mins-hour and Millie enjoys a journey.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry Pippam I cant help Hope you get some good info to help your decision though.

Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Off topic, Sosha - what agility club is that? I'm trying to find one to go to with Kestral so recommendations are always useful
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Personally I wouldn't go. I was there for long enough to watch things (I lived on campus). For the short courses it is good, for the dog training not so much.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Sorry Pippam I cant help Hope you get some good info to help your decision though.

Off topic, Sosha - what agility club is that? I'm trying to find one to go to with Kestral so recommendations are always useful
It's not so much an Agility club more a "Fun agility session"

http://www.capablecanines2002.com/

Did their beginners course which was great & have started hanging around with come as and when inters.

Was contemplating this place http://www.petdogagility.co.uk/
But other than exchanging a few Emails not been for a gander.

(Sorry Pippam - Hi-Jack Over)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Moons Mum and Cain go to Dave at Capable Canines.

I know Elinore, she has come to my tracking courses with her Terv.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Ah thanks, I go to training classes with dave but I work on Sunday's so can't make their agility
I am looking in to bookham but haven't heard back, must call them!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Helen Withy who trains at Writtle is a KCAI, therefore if you have lessons with her you won't do too badly.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm currently studying BSc Animal Management at Writtle, so I'll do some asking around for you if you like
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >