View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Wondering if anyone can give me a hand with asbo's social issues?

basically asbo used to be extremely nervous of dogs, and would completely shut down whenever one came near him he doesnt know.

now he likes to greet everyone he meets (we dont tend to meet many because we hardly ever see anyone about) and he starts pulling on the lead, making weird wingy noises, and sometimes barks. ive tried turning back the other way, which has started to work.

the other issue is when hes off lead with a dog, after he has got to know it, he gets excited and then starts humping them, he goes back on lead but then continues to pull.

i wondered if any of you that live nearby could give me a helping hand, maybe meeting up with you and your dogs, and we could maybe practice walking past each other, until he starts to calm down around different dogs.

i usually take him out with daph, when i try to go out on his own, we never meet anyone!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Love to, but it`s a bit far. Do you walk him on his own then? Could you borrow another dog?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Love to, but it`s a bit far. Do you walk him on his own then? Could you borrow another dog?
i do take him out on his own as well as the two together, they both get a separate walk as well. thats the thing, if there were dogs round here i could borrow i would but they all seem a bit unruly and not very well trained, which i think will make things worse rather than better.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2011, 12:07 AM
I'd be willing, but not really sure how much help a really bouncy springer and a scaredy-cat papillon would be. Actually, it might help Willow figure out that not all dogs are for bouncing on. Whereabouts do you walk?
Jukesgirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Just out of interest, what type of dog is ASBO?

i am too far away to help but i can totally understand what you are asking, my first dog was like that and is still not 100% perfect and sometimes it would be nice to have someone to practise with who is non judgemental about dogs that have been adopted with problems.

I assume you have tried distraction?

Asking him to sit?

Sometimes it is about the dogs frame of mind, i know when Ruffus is in the right frame of mind to meet another dog, when he is pulling and whining and desperate to meet them, the other dog will not react well and so i can't let them meet but other times he is calm and meets well and then he gets a lot of praise.