Our sister sites
Our sister sites
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Burgess Supadog dry food ?????

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has used Burgess dry food & if so what does anyone think of it? My Jack is on Burns at the moment but he is such a fussy eater. I was adding a couple of fork fulls of Butcher's wet food to get him going but lately i have been throwing it away.

We went to a friends house the other day & she has two Collies who are on this Burgess & Dennis couldnt stop eating it.

But knowing him if i buy him some he wont eat it??

Any suggestions would be great.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Why don't dont contact Burgess and ask for some samples before you buy or buy a small bag in case he doesn't like it.

Burns is a much better food though than Burgess imo i would try and persevere with it, try the 15 minute rule, leave the food down for 15 minutes if he doesn't eat it remove the bowl. They soon catch on and usually eat when they realise its that or nothing !
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 07:05 AM
How much are you feeding and how often? Also, how much exercise does your dog have?

Very often there is a tendency to overfeed and some dogs are quite clever at regulating their own intake

Not saying this is the case here, but is something to consider
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by freckles211 View Post
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has used Burgess dry food & if so what does anyone think of it? My Jack is on Burns at the moment but he is such a fussy eater. I was adding a couple of fork fulls of Butcher's wet food to get him going but lately i have been throwing it away.

We went to a friends house the other day & she has two Collies who are on this Burgess & Dennis couldnt stop eating it.

But knowing him if i buy him some he wont eat it??

Any suggestions would be great.
I wonder why he could not stop eating it?

Do you think it might be becaus he saw the other dogs eating it?

Do you think that feeding time might be more relaxes at your friend's house?

Do you think that once you got it and he had to eat it every day the novelty would wear off again?

Do you worry too much about your dog's appetite?

Why not take the view that dogs are not anorexic, they drink out of toilet bowls, lick their bottoms, love putrid food, and excrement.

So then ask yourself, how fussy can he be?

Just put the food down, leave it ten minutes, and then take it up and give NOTHING until the next meal (including treats)!

I would HALVE his normal ration as well.

I think you may find that after a 2 or 3 days he may come to view ANYTHING in his bowl as a plus!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I wonder why he could not stop eating it?

Do you think it might be becaus he saw the other dogs eating it?

Do you think that feeding time might be more relaxes at your friend's house?

Do you think that once you got it and he had to eat it every day the novelty would wear off again?

Do you worry too much about your dog's appetite?

Why not take the view that dogs are not anorexic, they drink out of toilet bowls, lick their bottoms, love putrid food, and excrement.

So then ask yourself, how fussy can he be?

Just put the food down, leave it ten minutes, and then take it up and give NOTHING until the next meal (including treats)!

I would HALVE his normal ration as well.

I think you may find that after a 2 or 3 days he may come to view ANYTHING in his bowl as a plus!
totally agree with this
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 10:00 AM
if they are fussy they are probably eating it as it's something different and new and will probably revert back to being fussy if you buy them some.
Do you mix a bit of wet with their burns at all? Apologies if you already do this, and if so I agree with lifting the food up if they don't eat it.
If not mixing a bit of wet with it might help a bit. when mine were on dry they wouldn't touch dry on it's own but no probs with a bit of wet mixed through or some sardines/cottage cheese etc.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 04:55 PM
To answer the question, I used to feed mine on the Supadog Sensitive because it had better ingredients than the rest of the range. They did well on it and I thought it a decent food for the money.
Kizzy24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Supadog is "cheap an cheerful" and full of colourings. My advice would be James Wellbeloved if you want a dry food...it comes in 4 different flavours so you can change each sack you get. I find Burns is very good but not very appetising...know loads that wont eat it....you should try a biscuit for yourself...dry an lack of flavour!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I feed my two burgess supadog sensitive, soaked with a little meat added and they do very very well on it. Its a good food.
Remember though all dogs are different and what suits one does not suit another, so find something your dog enjoys and does well on.