Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 03:03 PM

B****y new vet legislation!

As I posted earlier, the new law means that vets can't prescribe human drugs for animals any more (apparently it's an EU directive which started it - to prevent drug residues going through to people from food animals). Anyway, my epileptic Snorri-dog can't get his phenobarb from Boots any more - he has to have Epiphen (phenobarb in a different packet) at eight times the price. Before he could have it, however, he was required to have blood tests to assess the Phenobarb levels in his system, and to check liver enzymes. Compulsory.

So, yesterday, we went to the vet, where Snorri-dog was relieved of 3 tubes of blood, and we were relieved of just over £72 (MOSTLY the lab fees, over which the vet has no control).

So much for "increasing consumer choice and cutting costs". This is a BAD piece of legislation in regard to dogs, who ought to be excluded. Drug residues in dogs shouldn't be affecting humans, anyway. If there are "Europeans" out there eating dogs, they deserve all the residues they might get, IMO!

All I can say is that MY consumer choice has been removed, and my costs have gone up considerably, so who is being protected by this legislation? Dog-eaters,perhaps, certainly not me! Or you, for that matter. Time to start complaining, methinks!

What about the poor OAP, whose dog is his/her only companion? He/she can't afford this totally unnecessary assault on the purse or wallet! I can see it leading to more healthy pets being sent to rescues, or PTS.

GIVE YOUR MP AN EAR-BASHINGNOW!!!!

Snorri
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:19 PM
here here, china gets piriton from vets cheaper than human.....i can understand for cattle but dogs????
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:53 PM
It seems ridiculous on the face of it. If the law is aimed protecting people from the effects from food animals, why can't it be made so that it only applies to food animals, instead of this silly blanket ban? It doesn't seem like that would be such a hard thing to do. And quite apart from this, why is it considered unsafe for people to get residues of human medication from animals, but not residues from animal medicines? I smell a conspiracy. Or have I misunderstood? I have to admit all I know about this law is what I've just read here.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:57 PM
People have enough trouble paying when their dogs are ill already without them making it worse!
If they are going to make the effort of coming up with new legislation they could at least do it properly and not just "blanket" everything
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 04:30 PM
That's the <net-nannied> EU for you - a complete waste of time, money and effort!

The way I see it, it's just a means whereby the Germans, having lost two wars, are now trying to take over Europe by diktat.

The French don't like us, and never have - they just want to go on feeding their cattle on excrement and concrete, while we pay for it.

I'm a Scot, born and bred, NOT a flippin' European! If I have to be something else, I'd rather be Scandinavian!

Snorri

(any organisation which can call a carrot a fruit, just because the Portuguese make jam out of them, has to have its head up its own a***h***!)

Let's get out of it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
As I posted earlier, the new law means that vets can't prescribe human drugs for animals any more
Could you still buy them yourself from the internet or such places though, without prescription?

Just a thought.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
That's the <net-nannied> EU for you - a complete waste of time, money and effort!

The way I see it, it's just a means whereby the Germans, having lost two wars, are now trying to take over Europe by diktat.

The French don't like us, and never have - they just want to go on feeding their cattle on excrement and concrete, while we pay for it.

I'm a Scot, born and bred, NOT a flippin' European! If I have to be something else, I'd rather be Scandinavian!

Let's get out of it!

Snorri, please dont slag off other countries, you may not be aware that i myself am part french and very proud to be classed as european...the french dont hate the english they just do things differently from us and dont suffer fools gladly. Also french cattle is not all fed on concrete and excrement...where did bse stem from? i think the majority came from other countries than france

Sure there is a long history but beleive it or not france has more important things to deal with than hating the english.

As for the EU court thing every one in europe agrees its stupid about some legislation...but there are good sides to...

Alex
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by chinaowner

As for the EU court thing every one in europe agrees its stupid about some legislation...but there are good sides to...

Alex
You may be right, but I haven't yet met anyone who sees any of the good things! A bit like the Scottish Parliament, haven't seen much come out of that, except big, expensive, ugly buildings which take well over the estimated time (and budget) to complete.

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
. Also french cattle is not all fed on concrete and excrement...where did bse stem from? i think the majority came from other countries than france

Alex
BSE - who knows? The info on cattle feed came from BBC's "Panorama"

British beef continued to be banned even after it was certifiably clear, whilst French beef was still infected. As the British beef ban was France-driven, it smacked just a little of protectionism.

Snorri
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Personally, I'm no fan of the EU either. I'd rather we pulled up the anchor and rowed these isles over the other side of the Atlantic. (Lesser of two evils scenario here! )

As for getting drugs of the interweb, you don't know what you're buying, potentially. I'd say paying more was preferable to taking risks with unknown substances. Probably end up with concrete and excrement!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >