Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:04 PM

Diastasis Recti - separation of rectus sheath

I saw the midwife yesterday and she said I had this, which is essentially separation of the muscles in the abdomen. Has anyone else had this at all? I want to stop it getting any worse now but can't do normal tummy exercises with it. I want to make it go back after the birth - she said I'd need to wear a girdle for a while and see a physio plus be careful lifting, bending, twisting, etc. I've heard of something called the Tupler Technique ...

I'm really hacked off - I've had a lot of abdominal pain recently and perhaps this is why. I've always been really fit and exercised loads and I don't want to lose my stomach muscles.
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
I saw the midwife yesterday and she said I had this, which is essentially separation of the muscles in the abdomen. Has anyone else had this at all? I want to stop it getting any worse now but can't do normal tummy exercises with it. I want to make it go back after the birth - she said I'd need to wear a girdle for a while and see a physio plus be careful lifting, bending, twisting, etc. I've heard of something called the Tupler Technique ...

I'm really hacked off - I've had a lot of abdominal pain recently and perhaps this is why. I've always been really fit and exercised loads and I don't want to lose my stomach muscles.
every1 has some muscle separation to make room for your bump. after you have your baby a physio will come and see you and will tell you what you need to do 2 bring them back. but 4 now you shouldn't over work your abdomen muscles as it will not help.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:35 PM
gosh thats a new one to me , how much longer have you till little legs arrives ?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Is it usual then? Will it definitely go back?

Less than 8 weeks to go and still not ready
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Is it usual then? Will it definitely go back?

Less than 8 weeks to go and still not ready
it's very normal. it might not ever go back 100% but to look at it will be fine. mine are about 1cm apart and my son is 18m! nothing 2 worrie about hun. just have fun being preg it will all be over b4 you no it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Thank you (relieved grin)
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:12 PM
thats ok if you ever need any help just ask. i might not be a MF or a DR but i have had 2 boys and read every book.
mackleback
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:54 PM
One of my cousins had the same thing when she was pregnant and she had to wear a girdle too. I dont think it caused her any problems after. But she did have to wear the girdle again for the whole of her second pregnancy. And she looks fine now too.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Aw thanks, I'm smiling again now.