Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Nothing at all like that

Instead of paying for a pup you choose to breed one for yourself and pay for the stud fees, the surplus pups are then sold on and a profit is made.
But that's the point.

No profit is made after all the expenses are taken out.

Are you purposely tryin to anger Ethical breeders that are posting on this thread, by basically telling us that we are lying about what we know to be FACT ?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
But that's the point.

No profit is made after all the expenses are taken out.

Are you purposely tryin to anger Ethical breeders that are posting on this thread, by basically telling us that we are lying about what we know to be FACT ?
Probably as rescue people,well most anyway don't like Breeders of any discription.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why do you begrudge people covering costs and maybe having a few quid over when they are breeding dogs in the correct manner? Providing them with good quality food, care and comfort?
I'm not saying I begrudge them at all for making a good profit I just wish breeders were honest about it.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
But that's the point.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not saying I begrudge them at all for making a good profit I just wish breeders were honest about it.
I don't think I've ever been called a liar before

Debs
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:07 PM
There you go again.

She didn't say PROFIT, she said Cover COSTS !!

YOU are the one harping on about PROFIT.

Many people here have experienced breeding and KNOW for a FACT that it costs money.

And now to say that we are being dishonest about it, is way out of line.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Many people are posting here to enlighten yourself and probably others into the ins and outs of costs of breeding, and all you are doing is calling us all Liars and being very, very rude.

You do NOT know for FACT what it's like to breed ETHICALLY
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:08 PM
But I have been honest and if you can show me where I made the money please let me know. In fact I've been thinking of claiming my dog breeding as a business to reduce my tax bill because I am entitled to claim 1/6th the costs of this house as legitimate expenses for 'dog breeding'!
In fact when the Inland Revenue get involved with ethical breeders they actually ask them not to claim the 'income' because they make a loss!
Becky
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Rescue pups don't leave with registrations pedigree etc,

So please enlighten us on what they do go home with?
Registration fees don't cost hundreds of pounds per pup. I didn't want to turn this into breeders versus rescue but seeing as you asked, rescues do make a genuine loss the pups are quarter or more, less than the price of a breeder pup yet most are fully vaccinated and neutering covered as-well. Some rescues will also send their pups out with a puppy pack.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 08:15 PM
OK I am someone with a foot in both camps, one foot I have bred I did make a profit on my litter turns out that after paying everything required, stud fees/health test, equipment, etc.at the time I did not work and so spent 12 weeks constantly with the pups til they left I actually made £36.80.not a great wage for someone over a 12 week period but this was ok for me because I bred to get a pup for myself, and I would do it all over again for the same PROFIT, all pups went to great homes and all under contract and all except my pups were spayed /neutered so not adding to the breeding population, my other foot is I have been involved in rescue for a long time, and now do actually work for a large rescue center, I would say during my time at the center, 90% of the dogs are cross breeds maybe even more than that the few pedigree dogs we get in, most of them we know they have come from either puppy farmers or BYB, the odd one that comes in from neither of these, we have managed to contact the breeder and they have been totally shocked a dog they have bred has ended up in the center and have come and collected them, so in my opinion, Puppy farmers and BYB(as they also breed the x breeds) are responsible for most of the unwanted dogs in fact I would say BYB are more responsible than the puppy farmers, as I have previously said most of the dogs in the center I work at are xbreeds and they mainly come from the BYB.

Mo

edited to add in the case of my litter we thankfully had no complcations so did not have the added expense of a C section or anything like that, which would have put me definately in the red from the breeding of the litter.
Page 15 of 42 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »