Our sister sites
Our sister sites
james36hat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2004, 02:40 PM

Perro de Presa Canarios.............

Hello!
I own a 9 month old presa canario, which is a rare breed from the Canary Islands (which incidentally for those that don't already know were named after dogs - as in canine- not canaries!).
It's a large dog with males growing to around 120 pounds in weight.Although this dog originated due to the huge dogfight scene on the islands a few centuries ago it is not used for this purpose any more (hopefully - as anyone fighting dogs should be maimed in a most humiliating way in my opinion). I'm sure someone here has heard of the breed maybe not many of you but surely someone! I'm hoping to make people aware of the breed wherever possible so that one day it won't be as hard to get the breed KC approved. At this moment in time it doesn't look good for the breed, and I'll tell you why.
1. If you websearch presa canario, somewhere you will spot a story from the states where 2 presas maimed someone.A terrible tragedy I'm sure but as always the dog gets the bad publicity rather than the owners.
2. People import banned breeds like Dogo Argentinos or Fila Brasilieros as presa pups as they look fairly similar when young so I can see them being banned to get rid of this loophole.
3. The backward, elitist Kennel Club will doubtless turn it's nose up at presas despite the fact that many similar breeds are already recognised by them - I'm sure they already know of the breed and dislike it intensely due to it's fighting background.
All in all, as with most breeds like this type anyone promoting it, I predict is going to be met with alot of disapproval, as were early Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher owners, apart from the sort of people who are interested in the breed for the wrong reasons.
Anyone who has any information on the likelyhood of the breed being KC recognised eventually or anything else at all please reply.
Cheers!!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi & Welcome,

I would guess most of us on here have heard of the presa since Azz who owns and moderates the site has one himself, look under the name Rocky, I think there is a girl Lizzy who posts here who also has one and there may be others, excuse me anybody esle who I have forgot to mention.

Thanks for the short history I am sure it will be very useful to people who have not heard or know much about the breed. One breed I really do like is the Presa but I never fancied one as they are perhaps a little on the large side for me, but stunning, capable animals all the same.

I admire you campaigning the breed in this way, I am not sure about KC recognition and whether it may happen maybe the other Presa owners would know more about that. I dont always think of KC recognition as necesarily a good thing for some breeds, afterall most breeds end up being ruined when they are bred solely for looks.....in my opinion at least.

Would love to see some pictures of your dogs!

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi James, I like Presa's but like Laura they are bit on the big side for me too.

Great info on the breed. Do you have any piccies of your Presa?
james36hat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi there!
Yep I agree about the KC ruining certain breeds - this breed has a breed standard which was drawn up so the breed could be recognised in Spain by the FCI and I'm sure they wouldn't take too kindly to another country's KC messing about with that.
That earlier post was by no means a history, obviously being an old breed it has a far more illustrious history than I can put here!!
I just thought I'd add that the breed was recreated (not ressurected) last century due to the fact that no one could find an example anywhere. So, using breeds which they knew went into the presa they started breeding off until we have what we now know as the presa. I'm sure the people who did this knew what they were doing and remained faithful to the 'ideals' of the breed, but I still find it disconcerting that all these presas may be very different indeed to the dog which they are supposed to be.Who cares I suppose as it's an awesome dog in many ways.
The whole KC registry thing is probably a wild goose chase, but I just thought I'd test the water on the issue as someone else I know who own 2 presas are pursuing the issue in earnest- I wouldn't know where to start!!I shall post pics of my Ozzy soon....
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Ooo goody doggy pics.

Tbh I'd never heared of or seen a Presa till I saw eRaze's Rocky and since then have totally fallen in love with the breed. Staffordshire Bull Terriers will always be my main breed tho
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi James,

If people are really for it and they think the breed would benefit then great I didnt mean to sound as if I were knocking it, as I say I dont know too much about the Presas other than what I have read in books and from some people who own them I have spoken too by all accounts they are becoming very popular in the UK, not sure whether thats always a good or a bad thing mind lol.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your dog what bloodlines is he from?

I feel the same Staffy although we are considering a Boston Terrier at this precise moment so watch this space lol.
james36hat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2004, 04:03 PM
He's lined from Urco, Tamaran and a couple more Spanish champs figured in his lines. I don't know much about the whole breeding thing so I may not have answered your question..........When I get home I'll have all that info at hand.
Being from Stafford I also love Staffies and know LOADS of people who have them too. Someone who bought a presa from the litter my Oz is from are now gonna start breeding Presas,so some people don't seem too bothered about the size thing as they used to breed Staffies. I find that although they are very big they don't act as randomly as some other big dogs around the house so it's not much of a problem. If I lived in a smaller house I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.Hourses for courses I 'spose.