Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 10:34 AM

Hormonal Problems?

Just wondering if any of you have ever experienced hormonal problems with a bitch after a season that presents itself in the form of skin problems?

Back in May Cassy went into season as we had expected 6 moths after her last (up until this point she has had normal season with no after effects). A couple of months later she suffers a false pregnancy and around the same time her skin plays up, becoming red on her belly where there is no fur and her fur turned orange right down her spine. Back to the vets and they didnt seem to think it was linked to her season or false pregnancy at the time and it was treated although it was an allergy (after several visits) as it was summer time etc and that it was most probably a seasonal allergy perhaps grass. By August we are having to give her antibiotics and some anti-histamenes (were told if that failed a skin biopsy would need to be done) and now by September her skin was completley back to normal and looking just as she is in season again. Now 4 weeks after her last heat her skin is looking a bit red again and I can see the orange tint coming back........its very frustrating, I wonder now if it is just a coincedence that this has happened twice just after her season or could it be a hormonal problem that is causing her skin problems too, bearing in mind before the season in May she has had 4 normal seasons with no false pregancies previous to this.

Its a bit long winded but I wonder if anybody has expereince someting similar or what your opinions are on the matter. She has an appointment booked for Monday again with the vets so I will be seeknig advice again but in the meantime I just wanted to ask on here if anybody has advice or thoughts on this....

Thanks
Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 10:55 AM
The only thing i had was when Tam was due in season and during her season she had very dry, flaky skin but once her season had finished she would be fine again
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi Staffy,

Thanks, Cassys skin got pretty inflamed underneath and her fur had a really bright orange tinge from the base of her neck to the rump of her tail the vet had never seen anything like it before. It happened after the season before last and went away a couple of months later, now she has had this season 4 weeks later I can see a light tinge down her back again, its very frustrating

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Mention it to the vet and see what he says. Poor Cassy must look really odd with a bright orange tinge
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Yes Staffy I have been seeing the vet about it since June this year and because I changed insurance companies just before they wont pay for a pre-existing condition, nae luck eh lol.

Her skin isnt bad at the moment, the orange isnt really there but I can see the signs of it starting like it did before. I have some pics of her when she was at her worst back in June I will dig them out & post them, its not very attractive.

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:15 AM
That's awful Laura. Mind u my insurance company very nearly didn't pay out for Tam's ops
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Ruby lost about 50% of her coat after her puppies were born, the vet said it was hormonal but its only just grown back and the pups are 5 months now.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:19 AM
I am annoyed at myself I was with the previous insurance company for a while and they had paid out very quickly when Cassys ear was stiched back on as a pup when she was attacked but I was offered a better deal for both and took it up then this happened.....typical eh.

Now these pictures were taken in June of Cassys skin, it has completley cleared up again, this was shortly after her false pregnancy as you can see its a bit of a mess its nothing like this now but I can see the start of it happening again.

Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:20 AM
poor cassy
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by annestaff
Ruby lost about 50% of her coat after her puppies were born, the vet said it was hormonal but its only just grown back and the pups are 5 months now.
Thanks Annestaff, was this the only noticable problem - did you ever have problems after a season before she had pups? I find it strange Cassy started to have problems after her first phantom pregnancy which occured after 4 normal seasons.

Laura
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >