View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2004, 07:28 PM
we walked the boxers together on a double chain on 1 lead the same as the others.their total was around 60 kg.
if both dogs know how to walk correctly and doesn't pull then you should be able to walk any dogs together regardless of size.
i have every intention of taking my two out together when holly is ready their weight will be approx 120 kg or more depending on big holly gets.i am already out dogged if you go on weight just with tob he is around 70 kg and im 42 kg so he has the power to do any thing if he really tried but he knows im the boss and wont take it off him.
its all about having the control you need but most dogs will pull if they see some thing interesting,it takes a long time to get them to walk as a team but it can be done.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Its hard to explain what a lupi harness is I'll leave that one to you Kate.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2004, 08:26 PM
lol, ok *cracks knuckles*

The way the Lupi is designed (as a figure of 8, crossing on the dogs chest), it changes the pulling force of the dog from forewards to an upwards lift. Confused yet? Soooo, the dog cannot pull, as the force isn't pulling forewards anymore. Instead the more the dog pulls foreward the less force he/she has, as all thats happening is an upwards lift.

Did that help at all? Or are you now more confused than when I started?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2004, 11:05 PM
I *think* I understand!!
Thanks
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I had one for our lab, worked wonders!! quite inexpensive too!
Annestaff
Supervisor

17-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Harvey mastered how to pull on one, he use to go on his two back legs and run like a human, he looked so funny doing it but I looked a right plonker on the other end of the lead.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Lel

Its a crazy experience with my two
Is ok until one decides to go in the opposite direction to the other when they spot something
I know the feeling Lel, I reckon my two dogs 40lbs and 30lbs would give your big dogs a run for their money in the walking stakes .

I dont find it too bad all said and done. Cassy is a true lady in every sense of the word and is a dream on the lead. She walks at my pace always by my side and stops with even the slightest pull on the lead. A real delight to walk. She doesnt tolerate other dogs, but she doesnt make an effort to start a fight even though she would finish one

I wish I could say the same about Kip, she is a nightmare, she pulls like a steam train and even though she is trained she is like a demon when around anything that is living she forgets her name and forgets what she has been told in all her prey drive is much higher than her desire to please, she literally screams to get towards other dogs; cats or any living animal. So she can make walking very difficult sometimes but I am surprisingly strong for a 5ft short person . I probably exaggerate how bad she is though lol, the main point is I can and do control her on walks, I wear gloves though because of the pulling.

If both mine decided to pull at the same thing I am in big trouble though so I dont want to imagine two dogs yours size Ash deciding they want to go the opposite way from you. Hey what about trying roller blades, mmmmm sounds like a good idea lol.

Laura
Annestaff
Supervisor

17-11-2004, 03:13 PM
All my lot pull like their lifes depend on it so out comes the lupi harness's. When Harvey has a show coming up I stand at the bottom of the hill near my house and he pulls straight to the top, works wonders on his muscle tone on his shoulders though.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2004, 03:17 PM
I tried all sorts with Kip, training classes, a personal trainer (tried all training methods), head haltis (which she walked along the ground rubbing her nose while wearing), harnesses, collars etc. None have ever worked so I figure that some dogs are just pullers......now I always use a 2" Nylon collar on both my dogs as I feel I have more control over the head which is important for Kip walking past other dogs, I worry with a harness as it leaves her head free to do what she likes (i.e. lunge and grab other dogs) and it gives me less control.

Laura
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4