register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suszyblue2006
New Member!

15-11-2004, 08:54 PM
awwwwww bless him. even the papers are saying what a success the ban on under 18's having fireworks has been, WHAT!!!! WHERE!!! and do they live on the moon? It was worse the night after bonfire night. success, I think not.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 08:57 PM
mmm i agree, as long as fireworks are around, kids will abuse them, not just kids, adults as well
jazzi
Dogsey Junior

18-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Permission to crosspost granted. Although this happened in Demark - its an accident waiting to happen anywhere in the world including the UK.

I'm having a good chuckle here. What started out as a serious tragedy is resulting in folks who wanted fireworks banned, cheering.

Some weeks ago, a large fireworks manufacturing and storage facility in Denmark blew up. In so doing, the resulting explosion wiped out a whole residential neighbourhood, flattening houses, blasting out windows, removing roofs and burning some down. You can see some of the devastation here:

http://www.blumefoto.dk/sidste%20nyt...rudtfabrik.htm

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/art...ticleID=211335

1 fireman was killed. Many more were put in hospital due to smoke inhalation. 350 houses were destroyed, 750 in total suffered some type of damage.

People had no chance at all to get anything valuable from their houses, they were just told to run and run fast.

The public is up in arms. Why was a fireworks facility placed so close to a residential area?

Well the government has responded. They are moving all fireworks facilities away from residential areas. But more than that, they have put bans on storing fireworks in residential areas.

"Over the past four years, we've virtually pushed our customers into investing in safe rooms for storing fireworks. Now the government comes along and says they can't store fireworks in these rooms if they're located in residential building. So people stop ordering, and ultimately, that's going to pull the rug out from under Denmark's fireworks manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if the new safety guidelines wipe out 80 percent of the customer base for fireworks in this country," said Sørensen.

A team of government inspectors has already begun a tour of the country to inspect known fireworks storage facilities. Regulations for the placement of fireworks containers outside retail shops will be sharpened, and the maximum amount of fireworks per container will be lowered to 1,000 kg apiece."

New years in Denmark is like living in a bomb testing site. The smoke from the fireworks is so dense that it filters into all the houses choking people. After 5 minutes of them going off, you cant even see them anymore due to the smoke cover. The noise is just deafening.
And I live in the countryside!

For years and years now a group has been fighting the selling of fireworks for the sake of the wildlife and other animals that live in close proximity. Well, I for one hope they jump on this latest fiasco and push harder to ban the selling of them to the general public. For a country that claims to be ecologically conscious, New Years makes a bloody farce of this sentiment.

Take a peek around your neighbourhood and ask how safe it really is if stores in residential areas are stocking up on fireworks, or neighbours are stocking up. The Kolding fireworks explosion started when one rocket fell to the ground.

--Tracy
james36hat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, that's an extreme story....I see your point but I find the day to day safety of fireworks a problem.Not just kids either, I saw a couple of adults a weekend or two ago letting off rockets in their front garden - one of which exploded at ground level - I expexct they were drunk but even still they seemed clueless, or just downright inconsiderate.
A curfew on the time to let them off is ok but it makes it more of a fun thing really for rebellious kids so on the council estate I live on, it made no difference to the amount of late night bangs and crackles.Damn kids!!
Ban them apart from to those who have completed a basic course in the whole safety procedures, and can prove they are stored safely.Public sale is ridiculous in my opinion. Unless you pay through the nose or have a big garden, you can't have much of a display anyway.For my reckoning the whole experience is improved when in a crowd looking up at them, rather than in the back garden waiting for some cheap-ass banger to perhaps maim the kids. As I'm only 23 I feel I should lighten up a bit I suppose, but it is a serious issue.My dog only barks at them when people seem shocked by them - he really doesn't seem to care otherwise. Bless him. As a failsafe I've taught him to react with a nice subtle 'ooumph!'. Rather than the full-blooded roar a Presa lets out when he wants to bark!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6