Our sister sites
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I always think of this poem when getting a new dog
joedee that is beautiful!! x

madmare- i'm sure your right, things that are meant to happen always work out in the end xx
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 10:10 PM
You can never replace, but sometimes things happen for a reason, and this looks like one of those times.............
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I've waited till this morning to post this as apart from being hectic yesterday I wanted to digest the meeting with Chip properly and not act Rashly.
Well he is definetly a Springer, his photos may not show that but in the flesh as soon as you see him he is all springer, I've just never seen one his colour before.
Anyway he is the most wonderful little chap, Typical springer like a coiled spring but he contains himself so well and has lovely manners around the house. They have taught him lots of things and he is a real fun dog who wants to learn anything you can throw at him, also because of his lovely nature it will enable me to get out there and do some bits like obedience, field trials and I want to see if he can become a Pat dog.
We went on a walk with Mark his owner and he is great fun off lead his only downfall which I don't think Mark sees as it was said by the rescue that the owners had said he ignores other dogs when out, was that each time a dog appeared Chipp was there with his nose rooted to its bottom or undercarraige (and we only met male dogs) actually stopping these dogs from walking and one lady got very annoyed and Mark had to run over and retrieve Chipp, as she had her dog on led and actually couldn't move with her dog because of Chipp. There is no aggression with him he is just obsessed. His recall is otherwise okayish, he won't run away but it may take severall whistles to get him to come back, that all just needs working on and sharpening up.
Its the obsession with other dogs sexually that worries me with Shady as she is a bitch and won't cope with him being full on with her when we meet the first few times especially the way she is with other dogs she doesn't know.
He is entire though and the rescue have said he has to be castrated either by them or me, so I am going to ask them if they will go ahead and get it done asap so hopefully its done before I meet him with Shady.
I know a lot of that will be learned behaviour now and so soon after being castrated will not make a huge difference but it will be easier in the long term to work on that learned behaviour if his hormones are not there ruling his head.
While I was there I was besotted with him and apart from the little issue I mentioned he is completely everything in the Spaniel I have always longed for over the years. He is very devoted to Mark though as Mark is to him and Marks wife Michelle is heartbroken at having to part with him, but we got on very well and there were lots of hugs and tears from them when we left.
Chipp has always been with them and has his own passport and is well travelled, Spain and Switzerland and other countries, they took him everywhere and love him to bits.
Anyway after a night to think of all the pitfalls and good points I have decided to contact the rescue this morning and say we want to go ahead, but we would like the castration sorted before he comes here as it will be enough of an upheavel him leaving the family he loves without getting shoved straight into the vets to have that done as well.
We then have to pass a homecheck as well and the final decision will rest with Shady and if she can feel happy being with him.
So its a long way from being cut and dried but he is a wonderful lad that if fate says its mean't to be we would love to have join and be part of our family.
Now if you got through that lot I think the tea and biscuits are on me

Just to add will go and post the pics we took yesterday in the photo section, Pics certainly don't do him justice though.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Awww that sounds like it might work out for you and Shady then, a preloved dog normally has a few but this one doesn't sound to drastic I am sure Shady will put him in his place if he does over step the mark.
Why are his current owners not able to keep him any longer??? sorry if you have already stated why
So happy for you that step one was a success, now to wait for step 2
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 07:41 AM
2 sugars in mine please!

that all sounds good and i think he really needs to be a dog that requires some training because that is the distraction you need. i reckon a certain young man had a paw in that!

i'm sure with some work with you plus the castration, he will learn some doggy manners and be a pleasure to know for everyone, human and canine!

i'm keeping everything crossed that the meeting with shady goes well, but not every first meet is wonderful. when dylan first came to my house and met my lurcher, he tried humping him at every opportunity. leo put up with this, apart from some grumbling, for about a week until he really lost his patience (despite me trying to stop dylan) and told him off in no uncertain terms. they were friends for 9 years after that right up until leo passed away.

like you say, if it's meant to be!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 07:47 AM
brilliant news, the castration will help, just fingers crossed now it all goes well when he meets Shady
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 09:03 AM
To cheer you up re the castration issue.

My friend took on a lhasa rescue which had been used as a stud dog and was appalling with other dogs, he leapt on everyone here even though he only reached their back legs (G)!

Two days after the castration he stopped doing it-----if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it! So it can be that simple to sort out.

When you say he is a springer---was he bred abroad cos he looks like a working cocker in the pics but either way he will be fun.

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I hope the adoption works out ok Bev you are not a novice owner and know what you are doing and should be able to iron out any little problems.

How sad for the owners having to give up their dog , I am off to look for the pics now...
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 10:17 AM
chocolate digestive for me please, Bev

He sounds delightful apart from the one thing. Keeping fingers tightly crossed he gets on ok with Shady. xx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 10:28 AM
He looks like a real sweetheart, really hoping things work out.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >