Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Isn this a health problem ?

Mollie is nearly 12 loks quite good for her age, was neutered when she was less than a year old 9about 8 months I seem to recall). No problems since then until day before yesterday when a large husky type dog attempted to mount her ! Yesterday two rather amorous pugs tried it again and today we could not rid ourselves of a large labradoodle who kept trying to mount her. She really doesn't like it as any weight on her back hurts her hips. So it has been a bit tense trying to keep these dogs off her.

Not sure if this a problem for the vet or just unruly males.

Anyone had any experience of older bitches suddenly becoming attractive like this ?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Mmmm I think I would get her checked out, if she is smelling like she is in season to these dogs there could be something going on and that is the first indication.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Star used to give off an exciting smell when she had an anal gland abscess, it was actually the first sign that anything was wrong.

Definitely worth getting Mollie checked out.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Thank you both will book her in for a check.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Yes I would definitely get her checked out as it can't be nice for her having amorous boys trying to mount her

There do seem to be a lot of bitches on heat - I met two people walking then today and I think the entire male dogs are a little 'spring-fever' happy.

Good luck and let us know how she gets on.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Mmmm I think I would get her checked out, if she is smelling like she is in season to these dogs there could be something going on and that is the first indication.
As above,
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 03:13 AM
I agree with the rest. A vet should be able to find the source of her attracting males as if in season.

I have heard of spays which did not take when part of the reproductive organ is not fully removed.

Are her lady parts swollen, any discharge or more than usual grooming of the area?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Yes she has started licking her bits just last night, really obsessed with it. Will get her into the vet monday, they were coping with an RTA yesterday afternoon when I rang.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not very experienced with female dogs in terms of heats and such since all my dogs have been males. I wonder if a false pregnancy attracts males too. I'm going to assume all her hormones are all out of whack. Hopefully someone with more experience with the females will come along.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't believe neutered bitches have false pregnancies, only one we had that did was an entire female.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >