View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this with Lily. Sending many vibes your way.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 06:36 AM
I am so sorry Bev, what a worry for you. Sending positive vibes for you and Lily.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Just picked this up, sorry to hear this news,
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 09:38 AM
So sorry to hear about Lily's tests. I do hope your vet can do something to help her. Sending you both healing vibes.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Martin from the new vets phoned me with Lily's pre op blood tests at lunch time and its not looking very good. There is a strong possibility she may be suffering with kidney failure and to give her an anesthetic could be quite dangerous so he is not prepared to do her teeth.

He asked me a few questions before telling me the results to make sure she wasn't given Vitamin A&D supplements or fed raw meat as certain levels which he did say but that I couldn't take in are raised in her blood. He said greyhounds can have elevated reading in these things, but hers were higher than that and abnormal for a greyhound.
After reading her full notes from my other vet he said the results combined with her tummy problems she suffers with and her violent reactions to many drugs that she has been given and her funny turns it all points to kidney failure.
The only other thing it could be is (I think he said) a bone disease, but if it were that he would expect to see her with lots of lumps and bumps.
Her newest problems of cracked pads, less energy and getting tired quicker are also symptoms of kidney failure.

I have now got to get a urine sample and take it over to him, so he can send it off and get a detailed analysis of it to double check. If that confirms it then I will get her straight on to a special diet and do everything I can for her.

I am praying it won't be the case and somewhere there is a mistake. I am still feeling raw after losing Kyiro I don't want to think of my poor Lily having a shortened life as well.

I am feeling a little upset that my other vets knowing all her problems didn't look at her symptoms and do a blood test to see what was going on. We could have caught whatever this turns out to be much earlier and got her on earlier treatment.

I will get the urine sample in the next couple of days and get it over to Martin. Please keep your fingers crossed for Lily.
Hi It may well be something else,once the urine test has been done,sometimes when I am having tests something goes higher or lower,but when they investigate it is within the normal after all.anyway keeping all fingers cross.crystalgirl
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 12:35 PM
So sorry to hear this about your dear Lily. I don't know if it applies to dogs, but I was once stage 3 of kidney failure which was due to the drugs I was on at that time (NO, not those kind of drugs!) but as soon as they took me off them, the kidney blood test resorted to normal. Does this happen with dogs maybe and if she's on medication that might well be the cause of the results? Good luck with her anyway Bev, you don't need this and Lily doesn't deserve this either.xxxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
Oh no. Bev.so sorry to hear that. I hope you can get treatment for lily. You don't want to go down the same route you did with Kyiro. (((Hugs)))
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am so sorry to hear about Lily's blood test results not being good, Bev, and am sending loads of {{{vibes}}} that she can be treated.

(((Hugs))) xxx
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh I am SO sorry to read this. And I know the feeling when you feel niggled by a previous vet maybe not having given you the best advice (but that's not your fault and nothing you can do now to make it better).

I'm keeping everything crossed for Lily she is such a lovely dog and crossed for you too.
Originally Posted by Gellygoo View Post
I'm sorry you've had bad news from the blood tests. The new vet sounds to be a lot more on the ball....lets hope he can help Lily with this. Hugs.
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Fingers crossed for Lily and loads of healing vibes coming your way.
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sorry to be reading this Bev (((hugs))) for you and Lily.
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I am so sorry; everything is crossed here for Lily.
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
OMG Bev I cannot believe you are now having to go through all this worry and stress over darling Lily. You must feel like you are in a deja vu situation after the worry you had with Kyiro.

Everything crossed that her urine sample is better than expected and she react well to a special diet and meds. Healing {{{{{{{vibes}}}}}}} coming Lily's way. Lot of hugs to you both. x
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
So sorry to hear about Lily's blood results - you must be so worried about her, especially having lost Kyiro so recently. Fingers crossed that when your vet has the urine sample he will be able to suggest suitable treatment for your girl.
Thankyou everyone. This vet knows a lot about greyhounds and how their readings on blood tests etc differ from other breeds of dogs. Whats a normal range reading for other breeds is not for a greyhound and most normal vets don't realise that. So at least I know she is getting a proper diagnosis.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this with Lily. Sending many vibes your way.
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I am so sorry Bev, what a worry for you. Sending positive vibes for you and Lily.
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Just picked this up, sorry to hear this news,
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
So sorry to hear about Lily's tests. I do hope your vet can do something to help her. Sending you both healing vibes.
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi It may well be something else,once the urine test has been done,sometimes when I am having tests something goes higher or lower,but when they investigate it is within the normal after all.anyway keeping all fingers cross.crystalgirl
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So sorry to hear this about your dear Lily. I don't know if it applies to dogs, but I was once stage 3 of kidney failure which was due to the drugs I was on at that time (NO, not those kind of drugs!) but as soon as they took me off them, the kidney blood test resorted to normal. Does this happen with dogs maybe and if she's on medication that might well be the cause of the results? Good luck with her anyway Bev, you don't need this and Lily doesn't deserve this either.xxxx
Thanks all,

H, the vet read back through Lily's notes from my other vet and said that mild stroke she suffered last year sounds like her kidneys were failing badly then and she is lucky to be here now. Luckily the vet I went to put her straight on a drip and gave her fluid therapy, which saved her. My old vets had given her a lot of drugs which her kidneys couldn't cope with which caused it he thinks.

I have dropped her urine sample off this morning which Martin will send off today, so hopefully I will have some results by the end of the week and we will know for certain what is going on.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Bev - you poor thing, you must be worried sick. Everything crossed that the next results aren't too bad and she can be put on the right meds/diet to help her. ((hugs)) to you both.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Your new vet sounds wonderful.

I've been thinking a lot about Lily and I check this thread often. I hope it's something that can be treated. I had a foster who had kidney disease. I can't remember the exact percentage of her kidney that was still functioning but it was pretty low. She was with me for 8 months before she was adopted and lived for another while before she passed. The vet suspected that her kidneys cold have been damaged because she had a really bad case of heartworm. Is there heartworm in your area? Could be something to check just in case.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >