Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Before you know it those tiny trips out will be slowly extended and as the muscles build up he will gradually return to normal.

It IS difficult stopping them from being stupid when they feel better, but it is vital that you keep up the good work.

Well done to you.
Thanks Bitkin.
The wee man has me awake from 4am by quietly whimpering in his crate cos he wanted to get into the bed with me. (He's allowed in once the alarm goes off at 7.30 for a wee cuddle, but clearly now he reckons that's not enough.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi A vet that I had many years ago,I was sitting in the waiting room,as my afghan who races couldnt put her back leg down,I started talking to someone there,who was waiting for her dog,we were having this talk about what the vet called a footballers injury,then someone else joined in and then a few more,it turned out that this Vet liked to operate and it was usually large dogs and the C.L, easy money.So then went to the other vet in the town,he was chinese which was suprising,he told me he wouldnt recommend the C.L op as later on it could cause Athritis,he gave me some anti inflamm, and she was a lot better,he then did some Acu-punture, she lived till she was 16 no athiritis.crystalgirl
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi A vet that I had many years ago,I was sitting in the waiting room,as my afghan who races couldnt put her back leg down,I started talking to someone there,who was waiting for her dog,we were having this talk about what the vet called a footballers injury,then someone else joined in and then a few more,it turned out that this Vet liked to operate and it was usually large dogs and the C.L, easy money.So then went to the other vet in the town,he was chinese which was suprising,he told me he wouldnt recommend the C.L op as later on it could cause Athritis,he gave me some anti inflamm, and she was a lot better,he then did some Acu-punture, she lived till she was 16 no athiritis.crystalgirl
We had gone down the anti inflam/rest route with our lad after the first vet failed to notice the CL damage he'd done. With both ligaments compeletely ruptured this was an injury that was never going to heal by itself unfortunately.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Feel like we have really gone backwards this last week.

We were up to 30min walking morning and evening and Elroy was going well with it. Then last week a few times he looked a bit stiff or sore in the house. I put him on 10ml of the meds from the vet daily and this seemed to sort him out.

Today I bring him downstairs and he goes through the sitting room to the back door on three legs. He's putting weight on it now, but walking strangely on it. He's bringing it in under him as he walks, to the point that it's crossing over the path of the other back leg. He's bring the hip in a sort of anti clockwise circle as he moves the leg forward. (It's his right leg.)

Gave him a 12ml dose of the loxicom today (the full dose for his weight). Will be bringing him to the vet as well.

Is this something to be expected as we go on with recovery or something that I should be really concerned about?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Elroy is having more problems, especially after so long, and I do hope that the vet will put your mind at rest that it is not a step backwards.

Everything here crossed for Elroy and I am sending lots of Stop-Hurting {{{vibes}}} [and gentle (((hugs)))] for him and lots of (((HUGS))) for you. xx
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Feel like we have really gone backwards this last week.

We were up to 30min walking morning and evening and Elroy was going well with it. Then last week a few times he looked a bit stiff or sore in the house. I put him on 10ml of the meds from the vet daily and this seemed to sort him out.

Today I bring him downstairs and he goes through the sitting room to the back door on three legs. He's putting weight on it now, but walking strangely on it. He's bringing it in under him as he walks, to the point that it's crossing over the path of the other back leg. He's bring the hip in a sort of anti clockwise circle as he moves the leg forward. (It's his right leg.)

Gave him a 12ml dose of the loxicom today (the full dose for his weight). Will be bringing him to the vet as well.

Is this something to be expected as we go on with recovery or something that I should be really concerned about?
Hi Im no expert,but its the pain,if you could relieve his pain then he may just have a weakness,could you make enquiries about Hydra Therapy,it works on horses and allows them to run again except for steeple chasers,also your vet may have Aqua-puncture,as a lot of vets now use it.I amsending you positive vibes,and just hope things get a lot better keep us posted crystalgirl
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am so sorry to hear that Elroy is having more problems, especially after so long, and I do hope that the vet will put your mind at rest that it is not a step backwards.

Everything here crossed for Elroy and I am sending lots of Stop-Hurting {{{vibes}}} [and gentle (((hugs)))] for him and lots of (((HUGS))) for you. xx
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi Im no expert,but its the pain,if you could relieve his pain then he may just have a weakness,could you make enquiries about Hydra Therapy,it works on horses and allows them to run again except for steeple chasers,also your vet may have Aqua-puncture,as a lot of vets now use it.I amsending you positive vibes,and just hope things get a lot better keep us posted crystalgirl
Thank you both.
We tried to find a hydrotherapy place, but the only two within reasonable travelling distance have both shut down. The only other one I know of isn't a registered place and I'd be reluctant to bring him to someone who hasn't got qualifications. (I think it is used mainly by greyhound trainers to get dogs fit.)

Vet had a look at El last night. He's to be on crate rest again, no walking and she will see him in a week. The swelling round his knee is getting bigger; she reckons his body is rejecting the foreign body, so next week she will decide if he needs another operation on the knee. Patella is in place, knee seems stable.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Thank you both.
We tried to find a hydrotherapy place, but the only two within reasonable travelling distance have both shut down. The only other one I know of isn't a registered place and I'd be reluctant to bring him to someone who hasn't got qualifications. (I think it is used mainly by greyhound trainers to get dogs fit.)

Vet had a look at El last night. He's to be on crate rest again, no walking and she will see him in a week. The swelling round his knee is getting bigger; she reckons his body is rejecting the foreign body, so next week she will decide if he needs another operation on the knee. Patella is in place, knee seems stable.
Hi Could you set up a swimming pool in your yard,a rubber one,then you can get in with him and he could feel pain free for just a little while.When I was having re-hab,even though I couldnt swim,it was just marvelous to feel pain free,as I had ended up at the foot of stairs and went down head first so had compression injuries and physio was so painful.crystalgirl
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Oh no. So sorry to hear this, how is Elroy doing now?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh no. So sorry to hear this, how is Elroy doing now?
Not too bad at all since he's gone on complete rest, thank goodness. I've even taken him off the pain meds. Not sure what the vet will recommend for him next week. I think he just enjoys keeping me on my toes!
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >