Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Suspected CL Damage

I haven't posted on here in a LONG time. But have been doing searches on here over the weekend for info on cruciate ligament damage.

My wee man, Elroy, is away into the vets this morning for xrays to see what we are dealing with.

Last few weeks he's been lame on and off, mainly stiff/sore getting up from rest after running earlier that day. Second time it happened we brought him to the vet and he thought possibly just a strain, to rest him up and gradually ease him back into things. He did note that hips were "a little creaky" and just recommended fish oil, which we were already giving.

It still continued on and off but on Friday whilst out running he ended up on three legs. Back to the vet who now feels it could be CL damage. I decided I wanted to have xrays done sooner rather than later to find out exactly what we are dealing with, so Elroy has gone in today. I'm on tenderhooks waiting to hear back from them!

He's been on pain meds over the weekend and crate rest, just getting out for toilet breaks and occasional cuddles.

He is 3-4yr old rescue dog, we've had him since he was roughly 1yr old. A really active boy, loves to be out and racing around. He's a solid wee power house of muscle too. The prospect of months of resting him is just so depressing cos I know he'll find it miserable.

I guess I've no questions really till I find out more this afternoon; but please send him some healing vibes. x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Oh what a worry for you waiting for his results. {{{Healing vibes}}} for Elroy. My neighbours dog has just been given the OK for off lead walking having torn his CL 14 weeks ago and had it operated on.
Hopefully it will be a strain/sprain with Elroy and no op needed. All the best and keep us informed.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks Jenny. I've been quite relaxed and level headed about it all till today, now the worry is hitting me!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Any news yet Evie on Elroy's x-ray results?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 02:44 PM
None yet, they said they'd ring after 2.30pm. I'm trying to be patient, but might give them a call shortly myself.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Poor chap. Fingers crossed for positive news.

Helen
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I rang, vet out on call. So we are going to collect El at 6pm and will chat to vet then, fingers crossed!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 04:34 PM
My dog injured his cruciate when his back leg went down a rabbit hole when he was running. He came back to me on 3 legs, I thought it was just a simple twist or something so didnt have it looked at straight away. When he didnt improve I took him to the vets who diagnosed a cruciate issue. It couldnt have been ruptured fully because a course of Metacam and rest seemed to cure him.

About 6 months later I noticed him lame on the other rear leg, toe touching as he stood, stiff when he got up from resting etc. I took him to the vets again who diagnosed another weakened cruciate, so now he has both cruciates damaged.

But judging from what i've read, it's usual for the other cruciate to 'go' soon after the first is damaged.
My dog can still get a little lame on the second leg but I manage it by no longer allowing him to chase tennis balls and do that whole sliding tackle when he reaches it and I dont allow him to jump fences, walls etc unnecessarily. Basically, i'm trying to delay the inevitable full rupture!

Fingers crossed for your boy, let us know how it went at the vets.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Back from the vets about an hour ago with our still sleepy boy, bless him.

No cruciate damage, thank goodness! Vet reckons it's a strain, so he's to stay on pain meds till they run out and rest for 6 - 8 weeks before slowly reintroducing walking again.

Hips: He's not got great hips, but no hip displacia. Signs of slight degeneration starting on the right hip (also the leg he's lame on).

Hocks: Are fine.

Stifle joint: Signs of the start of arthritis on these as well.

Overall the vet says what is present bone wise isn't of major concern now, but something to keep an eye on further down the line. We'll see the signs of arthritis perhaps a few years before the average older dog. he recommended fish oil (which we already give), glucosomine & condroitin to help delay the onset.

Injury wise he manipulated the joint etc and is happy it's not the CL, but that there is a strain there and Elroy is to get lots of crate rest before easing him back into limited activity again. If we have any more concerns we are to call him.

So whilst not brilliant new, it's better than we were expecting.

Elroy is panned out in his crate right now, wee pet.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and information today, it's much appreciated.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 08:03 PM
That is definitely positive news .... no cruciate damage I'm sure if all our dogs were x-rayed many things would show up that we would otherwise not be aware of. Hopefully he will remain 'sound' once his strain has healed.

Healing vibes to dear Elroy and I hope you've mentioned to him that he has got to rest
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »