Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Trick Training Challenge Wk 2

Well I hope you enjoyed last weeks trick I loved it and had great fun!
Now for a new one this week.
This weeks trick is the twist or spin.
If you have not done this before then you can teach to go either clockwise or anti clockwise with whatever command you want, spin, round, twist etc.
If you dog already does this then can they do it without a visual cue/hand signals so try to teach on verbal command.
If your dog can do that as well then how about when you are facing the other way?
Good Luck. I think I'm going to use Oscar
Becky
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:03 AM
I taught twist by just luring the dog around in front of me, holding treat/toy low in front of the dogs nose and moving it slowly in a circle so the dog follows. I started by teaching it with the dog in front of me, but soon started doing it with the dog on either side. My dogs have a command for each direction, anti-clockwise and clockwise.
Here's a vid of Teagan, I got her to walk back 1st, so I could get the distance to vid the twists. She is a bit of a barky dog though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JZSCdZTMpI
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Oooh brill, I've been trying to teach Monty this for ages and he doesn't quite get it!

I can get him to do it by holding the toy infront of his nose and moving it round in circular motion so he's done the spin and as he does so I'm saying the word spin so he knows what it means but then when I ask him to do it and use a hand signal he just sits and barks at me or lies down and does rollover!!

Any tips greatly appreciated!!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Can we play too?!

I missed last weeks but want to give this one a go. Maggie loves to learn new things....I'm just a bit rubbish at teaching it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Daisy does this so that means I`ll have to try to work on Shamus
This very good for us! I`d more or less given up trying to teach Shamus anything new but the effort is definitely worth it.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll give this a miss with Hoki - she does like to spin, but with her knees not being 100% at the moment, I don't want to encourage her as it does put a fair amount of pressure on them.

But I'll give it a go with Stumpy and Tip - that should give everyone a laugh anyway
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Kismet already does this one way... I'll try the other way... I'll give it a go with poor Pharaoh, which should be good for a giggle.. he haasn't learned anything new since he was a puppy and shows no intelligence or aptitude for it! But again I'll leave Selkie out of it... She's not fit enough for this one
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Oooh brill, I've been trying to teach Monty this for ages and he doesn't quite get it!

I can get him to do it by holding the toy infront of his nose and moving it round in circular motion so he's done the spin and as he does so I'm saying the word spin so he knows what it means but then when I ask him to do it and use a hand signal he just sits and barks at me or lies down and does rollover!!

Any tips greatly appreciated!!
What toy are you using? If you can use a small toy that you can hide in your hand (like a small rope ball with the loop attached, so you can still hold onto it when you play as I wouldn't want him swallowing a small toy) you can show him you've got it to begin with, then gradually hide it in your hand until he is doing it without seeing it, then try hiding the toy somewhere so he can't see it (ie in your pocket) and get him to think it's in your hand and get him to twist, then get the toy out quickly when he has done it and have a good game.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
What toy are you using? If you can use a small toy that you can hide in your hand (like a small rope ball with the loop attached, so you can still hold onto it when you play as I wouldn't want him swallowing a small toy) you can show him you've got it to begin with, then gradually hide it in your hand until he is doing it without seeing it, then try hiding the toy somewhere so he can't see it (ie in your pocket) and get him to think it's in your hand and get him to twist, then get the toy out quickly when he has done it and have a good game.
I generally use whatever toy he is playing with at the time but will try tonight with a tennis ball or something. Am also going to try with treats tonight and see if that gets him working. He tends to just do every other trick he knows before trying a new one, it's quite funny really.

I'll maybe get Rich to video it as well.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh this is going to be a challenge I think.

Connor does left/right spins with left /right command - but generally with a hand cue - so going to be a real challenge to remove the hand cue and just verbal!

Max - as above!

Angus - does left spin but is a bit more stubborn on the right spin. So am going to work on him doing both consistently.

Charlie - does neither! So will see how he takes to this - he surprised me at how well he did last weeks challenge.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »